right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Connect with admissions counselors from 50+ schools, get advice for your admissions journey, and more! RSVP NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

US non-traditional Pre-Med student relocating to Scotland

221BIndubitably221BIndubitably 5 replies2 threads New Member
Hello,

I would greatly appreciate any insight you all might have regarding the following:

I am a 37 year old non-traditional premed student in South Carolina (post-bacc) w/ a degree in Finance and a dual-bachelors in History and Political Philosophy as well as all sciences needed to qualify for med school. I have a 4.0 GPA. I have been in banking/finance for 17 years and am now two semesters away from MCAT/applying to med school.

Recent events with my wifes job may relocate us to Scotland, specifically Edinburgh. This is extremely exciting; however, I am not sure how it will impact med school or the length of schooling.

I have been speaking with the University of Edinburgh, but a lot of the terms they use are not familiar to me. They have a six year program and I am trying to determine, out of the six years, how much time I would have left if I transferred my bachelors and additional sciences that I took to qualify for med school.

They said that with a four year degree and all qualifying sciences I would "...skip the 3rd Intercalated year of the MBChB, making it a 5 year programme, rather than 6 years." How many more years would the program be?

Does anyone have any insight? Have you gone through this same thing? Anyone in pre-med in Scotland by chance?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: US non-traditional Pre-Med student relocating to Scotland

• Conformist1688Conformist1688 1273 replies31 threads Senior Member
    "They said that with a four year degree and all qualifying sciences I would "...skip the 3rd Intercalated year of the MBChB, making it a 5 year programme, rather than 6 years." How many more years would the program be?"

They said - 5 years. You just skip a year in the middle where Edinburgh students basically take a break from their medical studies.

There isn't really a concept of pre-med in Scotland. Medicine is usually an undergraduate degree, although there is a graduate entry option.

Admission to medicine is very competitive. There are very few places available for international students, and if you are restricted geographically that will make it more challenging.
    · Reply · Share