Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Honors Calc III and Differential Equations?

MuffinMan17MuffinMan17 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
edited July 2013 in University of Alabama
So, I'm at Bama Bound, and I talked to some advisors in the college of engineering. Based on my AP credits and my majors, the advisor said that I could take Honors Calc III and Differential Equations my first semester freshman year. I can either do Diff Eq, or I can take biology in lieu of that (without the lab). Should I take Diff Eq my first semester? I plan on double majoring in Chemical engineering (possibly Chem and Bio engineering) and mathematics, but I wouldn't dismiss double majoring in biology since I want to do either biological or biomedical engineering in grad school. Plus, I plan on doing STEM MBA and emerging scholars, so that time commitment is something to consider. Any advice?
Post edited by MuffinMan17 on

Replies to: Honors Calc III and Differential Equations?

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,231 Forum Champion
    Is your dad on this forum as well? I've gotten similar questions from a dad.

Cal III and Dif EQ the same fall semester as a frosh seems to be too much.

Why bio without the lab?
  • MuffinMan17MuffinMan17 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    No, my dad isn't on the forum, haha. The advisor said that I could take bio without lab if I'm not premed (which, as of now, I'm not). And math has always come very easily to me, and I love it, so I thought that it might be feasible considering I'm better at math than anything else.
  • latteladylattelady Registered User Posts: 784 Member
    You might check with an advisor from the math dept. D took Calc III in her first semester and then 237 her spring semester. They both took a fair amount of homework time but, like you, she enjoys math and is majoring in it. We/she thought long and hard before just jumping into Calc III though (even with a 5 on BC). Having said that, even though Calc III was time-consuming, it wasn't very difficult (apparently Calc II is much harder).
  • EdjumacationEdjumacation Registered User Posts: 302 Member
    On a similar note, if a student places in a high level of math, but would feel more comfortable in a lower level, do they have the ability to take the lower level?
  • aeromomaeromom Registered User Posts: 2,709 Senior Member
    My S did what lattelady's D did: Calc III (applying AP/skipping to do so) fall...and then Diff EQ AND Linear Alg in spring. And he hemmed/hawed about taking those 2 maths at once, because they are two very different animals. (Are Calc III and DiffEQ similar or substantially different?) He kept them straight for the most part and even got A+ and A in them respectively. I'm not a math person, so when we were considering things, we went back to S's fabulous HS maths teacher for advice. You can easily do the same? I say this because your own HS teacher knows you better than an advisor who has never met you at UA, and s/he might be able to help you. That all said, with the load your taking and the things you're involved in, I agree with the Mom, and it sounds too much to me, too.
    PS: What's the rush?! ;0
    I actually asked my high school teacher right before I read your post! And okay, I'll see then. I really want to take Differential Equations, but I'll reconsider, and I'll be sure to talk to the professors in the math department. But thank you for the advice!
    On a similar note, if a student places in a high level of math, but would feel more comfortable in a lower level, do they have the ability to take the lower level?

Absolutely! And D did that in her foreign language area.
    MuffinMan, my D is signed up for two math classes this fall (238 and 301) and I've been trying to talk her out of it but she is excited about taking them. Must be a math thing!
    @lattelady, haha, it must be! We math-oriented kids are so headstrong ^_^ I guess it's because we're passionate, haha
This discussion has been closed.