Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

on verge of leaving and coming back on January?

124»

Replies to: on verge of leaving and coming back on January?

• paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 4,687 Senior Member
    1) yes, written letter from Ms. Crawford in email. Both admission and scholarship will be deferred to next semester.
    2) The visa is still being processed. The new one should be out on October, according to Mr. Morris.
  • beadymombeadymom Registered User Posts: 663 Member
    I am so sorry that you have been through all of this and incurred the expense to travel and then having to return home on short notice. I do not know anything about international students - especially international students that have been in the US for 5 years - I don't even understand it. But surely there is a procedure to applying for your visa in order to be allowed to attend school in August.

Just in case anyone else in your situation is following this thread, what is the time frame that was given to you? How long did they say it would take for the visa to be approved? If they told you, say, 6 months and you applied for your visa 6 months ahead of school and now it won't be here until October, then what can you attribute the delay to? If they told you 6 months and you only allowed 3 months, then that would make sense. I'm just curious on the timeline.
    Thank you Beadymom.
    in fact, it really depends. If you apply for it in USA, it usually takes 5 months~10months(!), but I saw some people
    who get their visa within 3 months, and that is NOT uncommon. Also, I don't think people actually wait over 5 months. For me, it has been 4 months. I was told that my visa should be out around on October, so I am praying to get it by October.
    If there is anything I missed in my application, I would have already been notified; it's part of the procedure to be
    notified when anything is missing from application. So far, that hasn't happened to me.
  • Class2012MomClass2012Mom Registered User Posts: 2,177 Senior Member
    So you applied for the visa in June and expected to get it in 2 1/2 months (mid-August) so you could start classes? Or am I misreading that?
  • robotbldmomrobotbldmom Registered User Posts: 2,697 Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    ^^^ yes, it seems like he totally miscalculated the timeframe for the visa, even he said it normally takes five to ten months and at best expedited... 3 months. To expect that the best case scenario wiould happen was probably foolish to say the least. Government agencies are notoriously slow in processing applications, even for persons who need government assistance in an emergency. Just think about the natural disasters that have occurred over the last several years. To think that a government agency would work quicker than its norm was not a wise decision. I do hope that those international students who may be following this thread and are in @paul2752's situation can learn from this and avoid costly mistakes.
    edited September 2014
    ^^^ yes, it seems like he totally miscalculated the timeframe for the visa, even he said it normally takes five to ten months and at best expedited... 3 months. To expect that the best case scenario wiould happen was probably foolish to say the least. Government agencies are notoriously slow in processing applications, even for persons who need government assistance in an emergency. Just think about the natural disasters that have occurred over the last several years. To think that a government agency would work quicker than its norm was not a wise decision. I do hope that those international students who may be following this thread and are in @paul2752's situation can learn from this and avoid costly mistakes.
    edited September 2014
    Sorry about the double post, can't delete it
    I applied in May 5th
    Paul, I hope you realize that my comments on the timing of these types of applications are simply meant to advise future students who may find themselves in your position. Like I said, you took a chance that your visa application would be processed more quickly than the typical time period of 5-10 months that you stated. This did not work for you. I am glad that you will have a chance to start over again in the spring. However, I would still caution others about taking that chance. It is probably better to have all documentation completed before heading to the university. If you had lived locally, that would be a different story.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,685 Senior Member
    What is the earliest a person can apply? Can they apply as soon as they have an acceptance?
    edited September 2014
    as soon as possible.

But I was waiting for W&L unviersity result(it came out much later than others..)so I ended up applying on may 5th...

• feenotypefeenotype Registered User Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
    Can you only apply for Change of Status with an acceptance in hand? (That does makes sense if true, I suppose.)
    When you apply for F-1 visa, you need an I-20 of a school you are committed to.
    So yes, you need to be accepted to a school before applying for student visa.
    Paul, when were you accepted to the university? Could you have not applied for your visa status change immediately after your acceptance?
124»
This discussion has been closed.