Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.
2»

Replies to: Allowance

• beadymombeadymom Registered User Posts: 663 Member
    My DS received a lot of money from graduation. That is what he is using for spending money. I am not giving him any extra.
  • SninerSniner Registered User Posts: 400 Member
    Whatever money we provide we provide in a lump sum and tell her to make it last. Budgeting is a good skill to learn. Kids today sometimes forget that their parents lifestyle is not theirs. Our lifestyles took MANY years of hard work to obtain.
  • SEA_tideSEA_tide Registered User Posts: 3,877 Senior Member
    How much money a student will spend also depends on their friends. For example, some of my friends were very comfortable financially and would think nothing of paying $25 for a dinner. Others would split a $5.00 Little Caesar's pizza and call it good. That alone makes a big difference in how much money one will spend.

While I didn't have a budget per se, I was raised to be frugal and to always have money left over. All things considered, I probably spent less than I earned at my on-campus job, even without having a meal plan. I never went hungry and often had enough money for fancy foods such as wild salmon, swordfish, cheesecake, and petit fours. If I wanted something, I waited until it was on sale. For example instead of paying $55 for a air of flip flops, I waited until I saw them online for $15.
  • InvolvedmomFLInvolvedmomFL Registered User Posts: 414 Member
    @SEA_tide Yes- it is very true that it is easy to spend freely when one is around other people who are able to do so. It is important to know when to say, "No, I can't go tonight." It sounds like you are doing a good job. :)
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 83,186 Senior Member
    >>
    Kids today sometimes forget that their parents lifestyle is not theirs.
    <<<

Sooooo true. I think many kids who've had their parents funding social activities, dates, mani/pedis, designer handbags, and so forth will be in for a rude awakening when they are trying to live on a budget of a new-hire's salary. The things that they thought were necessities are not. lol
  • BocaTerpBocaTerp Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    M2Kids...thanks for the info.
2»
This discussion has been closed.