Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Freshman in Honors College-does my son need to bring his suit?

2»

Replies to: Freshman in Honors College-does my son need to bring his suit?

• momreadsmomreads Registered User Posts: 3,230 Senior Member
    In terms of purchasing a suit, if your son has stopped growing (and that could be the case), you can purchase lovely suits from Kohls or, and I know this will sound a little off, Amazon. My older son is a Bama grad starting his second year at UVA Law. Sports jackets and khakis are a no-no for interviews with big law firms offering internships. So we did some shopping for suits, and we kept them around the $130-$150 range. Even got one on clearance for under $100. My younger son is at UAH. He has lots of dress clothing, but no suit. He says he does not need one. We'll see, as the years roll on.
  • kjcphmomkjcphmom Registered User Posts: 1,091 Senior Member
    I was able to purchase a good looking suit at Joseph Banks at a great price (under $100 for the jacket and pants.) I believe it was in their sale/clearance section at the time so check this out if needed.
  • albert69albert69 Registered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    Since this is sort of on topic - does anyone think that a suit might be needed on occasion for an Honors Public Speaking class? I have one - just got it last week... since I figured I probably should have one just in case.
  • robotbldmomrobotbldmom Registered User Posts: 2,697 Senior Member
    ^^^Yes, if you have a suit, bring it with you.
  • MAB222MAB222 Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    Several years ago I followed a CC suggestion and purchased plain black tuxedos at JC Penney for less than that cost of one rental. Sons were able to wear to multiple proms, musical events, etc. I noticed at the time , JCP sells suits that can be purchased as separates - hopefully decreasing the alterations $. Most young men wear slim fit,plain front, no cuffs so older or thrift store suits may not work for them . For any young man who needs an inexpensive suit, consider this option.
  • SEA_tideSEA_tide Registered User Posts: 3,877 Senior Member
    It's definitely worth getting a suit in a more traditional style. Before my junior year, I bought a $1500 suit for $100 at a clearance center. It's in a very traditional style that's been popular for at least the last 50 years and will likely be popular for 50 more. As a finance major, this was very important. Note also that those who wear suits can easily tell the quality of a suit. If you are fairly certain that your student will be the same general size for a couple years, get their measurements and go to Nordstrom Rack or the suit manufacturer's website and shop the sales. After purchasing a suit, get it professionally tailored.
  • robotbldmomrobotbldmom Registered User Posts: 2,697 Senior Member
    ^^^ Agreed, buy traditional not trendy. If your son has a growth spurt, you will be glad for the cuff (to let down) or a little extra width for those added muscles. :)
2»
This discussion has been closed.