Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
vig180vig180 Registered User Posts: 460 Member
edited March 2005 in University of Alabama
Anyone hear anything about when they'll notify us of who gets to go down to interview?
Post edited by vig180 on

Replies to: Tier I

• ecnerwalc3321ecnerwalc3321 Registered User Posts: 2,065 Senior Member
    oh! so they HAVEN'T announced them yet. I thought it was already given earlier. I was wondering why I didn't get it yet.... But I don't know.
  • suzinflasuzinfla Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    At Capstone Scholar Day they said students would hear in February.
  • vig180vig180 Registered User Posts: 460 Member
    I got an interview call just a few hours ago! Hurrah.
    vig,what were your stats?
    Congratulations Vig! Good Luck in your interview.

Apparently they had 325 applications and chose 25 for interviews based on the essays. You must have done an outstanding job. My S did not get an interview but is still interested and will travel to the academic achievement presentation in March.
    Thanks fsutheta. I think more than the essay it the visit to the campus, the meetings with professors, and basically just making sure they saw who I was and how interested I was with the school. I also submitted what I presume to be an excellent teacher recommendation from an incredible teacher, so that might have helped too.
  • IM4TYDEIM4TYDE Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    The numbers UA VP Roger Thompson quoted at Capstone Scholars Day was 375 qualified for Tier I, but only 25 would be invited for interviews and only 12 Tier I Scholarships awarded. Interviews are supposed to take place the first 2 weeks of February, and invitations should be received by the end of January. All that being said, Alabama is still VERY generous outside the Tier I's, and full ride+ is still possible, especially for NMSC/NHRP/National Achievement finalists.
    Agree, UA is both fair and generous. They are doing an outstanding job.
    why haven't I gotten a call yet? Is it still too late to get one?
  • IM4TYDEIM4TYDE Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    If you haven't been invited for a Tier I interview by now, it is probably not going to happen. My D was one of the 350/375 not invited. I suspect they will still put together total scholarship packages that at least cover full tuition and possibly housing for those 350. If you're NMSP Finalist (who lists BAMA 1st) and/or NHRP Scholar you should get full tuition & housing for 4 years, $1000/year for books/etc, $2000 one-time study abroad or research stipend, and a laptop. Depending on you particular circumstances and record you may receive additional scholarship/grant money in addition to this.
    Update: I was awarded a Tier I scholarship and am now seriously considering Alabama over schools like Dartmouth and Rice along with potential full rides at places like UGA and Vanderbilt. Any advice?
  • feenotypefeenotype Registered User Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
    Visit all the campuses vig and see which one appeals to you the most and where you could see yourself being happy for four years and congratulations on your fortunant conundrum.
    feeno'type's advice is sound, but I understand the pull towards Alabama.
    They are doing an outstanding job recruiting. They have a firm committment to improving their academic standing and I am sure their ranking will rise. I'm sure you know the new USA Today Academic All-American's have been annnounced and Alabama leads the pack with 5. The community seems very positive as well, with strong support for all sports, and a sense of family shared by alumni. The new dorms look like they will be beautiful and from what you posted on the parent board they have rolled out the red carpet for your. I was very impressed by Alabama, having said that my son has decided to go to Vanderbilt. All of your options are excellent go with your heart and all will work out fine.
  • birdofprey425birdofprey425 Registered User Posts: 682 Member
    I was 9th alternate for the Tier 1, putting me at 21st out of 25 (lol). I suppose somebody has to come in last. I'll be getting the National Merit stuff there so I'm not really worried about it.
    You'll have a slightly better chance now; I turned them down after a lot of deliberation for a similiar, better deal at Georgia. It was a really difficult decision to make since UA has so much to offer, so I know if you go there you'll have a great time.
This discussion has been closed.