Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Application question

mtfamilymtfamily Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
edited September 2008 in University of the Arts MT
Back to the topic of a school asking you where else you are applying!

On the UArts application it is optional. Since this is the case is it detrimental to leave this question empty?

Thanks
Post edited by mtfamily on

Replies to: Application question

• JeffBJeffB Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    I really don't think it matters. I go to UArts and they don't seem like the kind of place that would do that. If a school is going to base a decision on what schools you are applying to, that's not right.
    So to answer your question, I don't think it would be detrimental.
    However, it could possibly help you. I think that, at least to a degree, all the heads of the theater departments talk to one another about their applicants. So if you consider yourself professional and present yourself well at your audition for one school, they may go to another school that they know you auditioned for and say "What did you think of so-and-so?". And they may say "Oh, i really liked so-and-so, they had they're stuff together, seemed very prepared, did a good job."
    So, as my mother says, it can work for you or it can work against you.
    It's really up to you and your preference.
  • MichaelNKatMichaelNKat Registered User Posts: 4,269 Senior Member
    Actually, I would be surprised if the reps from various MT schools talk to each other about identified specific applicants. First, each school is going to rely upon their own evaluation of how a student meets that school's criteria and isn't going to assess a student based on the perceptions of another school based on its separate experience and rating factors. In addition, it would be highly unprofessional for one school to to discuss with another the first school's evaluation of a student or to seek an opinion from a competing institution. It undermines the integrity of the process. By way of analogy, if a job applicant goes for interviews with 2 competing companies, neither company is going to ask the other for their opinion of the applicant, both because they each are going to rely on their own process and also they are competing with each other for students they want. Finally, schools do not know when students in common with both are auditioning at the other. In the case of UArts in particular, with rolling admissions and decisions often made within 2 weeks, there wouldn't be much benefit to even trying to solicit other schools because of the timing logistics.

As to how to respond to the question on the application, the best response I've heard yet that ducks the question is " I intend to apply (or have applied) to a number of competitive schools because of the difficulty of the admissions process but I am seriously interested in _________ and it is among the schools at the top of my list." Or, in the case of UArts, tell them what ever you are comfortable with. I don't think they really care other than to perhaps use the list as reference material for interview questions (as was the case with my daughter where they asked her to contrast her experiences at the UArts summer program with those which she had at another school to which she was applying and to discuss her perceived differences between the 2 schools).
This discussion has been closed.