Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MT Class of 2014

Replies to: MT Class of 2014

• MichaelNKatMichaelNKat Registered User Posts: 4,277 Senior Member
    If those are the numbers, it sounds like their yield model was off this year. They usually shoot for a class of 22-24.
  • wb4wb4 Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    Facebook group numbers can be a little off— sometimes current students join these things to give advice. :)
    I was talking to my daughter tonight who informed me the numbers are rumored to be high this year. Don't know what the actual numbers are but the numbers being bandied about are even higher than what what frantiki posed. Could be lots of explanations for this from greater yields than anticipated to commingling or confusion with the acting program. Who knows. In a week or two those in the freshman class will know the real numbers just from orientation emails sent to all the MT freshmen. :)
  • marvmarv Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    28 MT's or more is about a 30% increase in planned yield. Hopefully they are planning resources accordingly. Mike's point about co-mingling with acting or dance majors is a possibility Welll in either case I am sure this will be an exceptionally talented group! Those of us parents who observed the phenomenal talent in all the college auditions are witness to that.
  • MTdaughterMTdaughter Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Given emails that my daughter has received, it would appear that there are about 24 to 25 kids in the MT program.
    I think the numbers may be significantly higher this year. All of the senior MT students serve as mentors for freshmen. There are 22 seniors and my daughter tells me many of the seniors have 2 freshmen they are mentoring! Don't know the exact count but it appears to be well in excess of 25.
  • frantikifrantiki Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Dropped D off at Uarts this weekend and had a great time meeting everyone at orientation. Still do not have an exact number on the 2014 MT Class. The only number that was officially disclosed was that there are 98 incoming freshman in the Brind School of Theatre Arts - total. Not sure how that breaks down, but it seems to me from the info that Mike has provided and my estimate's from speaking to D , we are in excess of 30.This is certainly well over the stated goal of 22-24(which factored into our decision criteria) and I find it hard to believe that this is simply a miscalculation in offer/acceptance ratio. Is anyone aware of a planned strategy to increase class size? Are they looking to have a sophomore cut? We all know these numbers can impact performance opportunities as well as access to Profs etc. Mike, if you have any info on this I would be interested in discussing. Feel free to PM me, I will send you my contact info to discuss. Thx.
  • oregontheatermomoregontheatermom Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    I understand there are around 40 in the class and I think this is MT only. Wow! That's a big class. Wonder why the bigger numbers? I know that the class of 2013 is quite small - not sure how small but around 6 or 7 girls and maybe 14 or 15 boys unless there are 'transfers in' this semester. Would be interested in knowing UArts "new philosophy" ! I'm sure they have this very well thought out in any case and have accounted for the numbers with new teachers and available classes. Don't worry Class of 2014 - they will definitely have it covered! It's a wonderful school that really cares about the students.
    oregontheatremom: 40? Wow, that would be a double from the class of 2013. I suppose it is worth a call to Gilbert or Raine to better understand this. If it is a "new philosophy" it would have been appropriate to share it with prospectives prior to decision time. Fellow UARTS parents, please do not misinterpret my concern as a lack of confidence in the excellence of the program...but this is really surprising. Thoughts?
    I would not in any way be concerned about a sophomore cut. UArts is not a cut school and if this was an issue under consideration, I suspect it would have generated a load of heartfelt discussion among the faculty that would have permeated out to the School of Theater community. I am also very confident that it would have been announced up front.
    I went right to the best source - Charlie Gilbert, Director of the School of Theater - to get the straight scoop. Here's what he advised: 38 freshman MT students due to unexpectedly high yield. Next year's acceptances will be fewer as a result. Additional sections have been added to keep studio class sizes at the normal 12 - 16 students and plans are being made to accommodate this year's freshman class and provide expected opportunities as it moves through the program. There are currently no plans to implement a cut policy. Hope this answers everyone's questions.
    Mike, many thanks for doing the legwork to determine the facts. It's good to know that there are plans to accomodate this larger than anticipated class size, now, and in the future. I trust those who have followed my question on this thread understand the reason for my keen interest in this issue. For the record, we are thrilled that our D selected UARTS and is (already) having the time of her life.
  • MTdaughterMTdaughter Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    This is great information. It sounds like this is the same situation as that which occurred at BOCO a couple of years ago, where more kids accepted offers than anticipated. In my daughter's case, she was accepted to 5 top ranked programs and chose U Arts for all of the reasons that MichaelNKat articulated. It appears that other kids made a similar choice for U Arts. Our daughter is also thrilled with U Arts and has been extremely impressed by the school.
  • SREDSRED Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    At the family orientation they commented that nearly all of the programs enrolled more students this year. My daughter is in the Acting program and said there are 30 students in the program this year. Anyway, my D is having a great experience so far--though she is anxious to move on from orientation activities and get started into her classes. Move in was incredibly smooth. I'm looking forward to Family weekend in Oct.
    For those who are interested, here's all the MT class sizes this year, by year:

seniors - 22
    Juniors - 16 -
    Sophomores - 21
    Freshmen - 38 - Numbers due to a yield that was much higher than expected.

When looking at the upper class numbers, keep in mind that freshman class sizes are typically in the area of 24 students plus or minus a couple. Some attrition always occurs, as with any school, major or program, for a variety of reasons.
This discussion has been closed.