Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What's the maximum units we can enroll per semester?

noodleslinoodlesli Registered User Posts: 598 Member
What's the maximum units we can enroll per semester? is it 20 or 21?
Post edited by noodlesli on

Replies to: What's the maximum units we can enroll per semester?

• clueless2400clueless2400 Registered User Posts: 477 Member
    why would u take THAT many units? that's nuts.
  • noodleslinoodlesli Registered User Posts: 598 Member
    Well I just want to enroll one more course as a back up since 2 of my classes are on the waitlist.
  • LeftistHominidLeftistHominid Registered User Posts: 3,803 Senior Member

In certain situations you can get it extended. One semester I got my major advisor to extend mine during phase 2 so I could waitlist some stuff, but now they have those weird phase 2 restrictions on how you can add/waitlist classes.
  • BioE25BioE25 Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    I usually take 40-50 units / semester, depending on the amount of shawties I want to bone in 15 weeks.
  • clueless2400clueless2400 Registered User Posts: 477 Member
    Oh okay, i see. that's a good idea.
  • meakamemeakame Registered User Posts: 639 Member
    L&S, 20.5. Other colleges - not so sure. I'm in CoC and the max is 19.5, but I petitioned for 20 this sem, and it got approved...
  • UpMagicUpMagic Registered User Posts: 1,434 Senior Member
    It is technically limited to 20.5, but you can petition and always almost get it approved. Essentially, there is no maximum cap.
  • mickjaggermickjagger Registered User Posts: 1,048 Senior Member
    Is this the soft limit? As in, if I'm enrolled in 20 units, can I add one more 4 unit class?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,633 Senior Member
    It may not be wise to load up on that many units of lab or term project courses.

But a lot of units of non-lab non-project courses may well be doable.

("lab" includes computer programming, art or architecture studio, music or theater performance, and similar time hogs as well as the labs associated with science or engineering courses)
  • meakamemeakame Registered User Posts: 639 Member
    I think the hard limit for telebears is 23. You can enroll in that many units despite your college's maximum... unless someone checks. Which, in L&S, is rare. I have a friend who did that.

If you want to exceed the hard limit you'll need to get your department (if you're declared) to manually adjust it for you, which they can do in 30 seconds.

Edit: the hard limit might be a function of your actual limit. This semester I requested 20 units (I'm in CoC) but I was registered for 24 units at one point, which the abovementioned friend was unable to do for some reason.
This discussion has been closed.