right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Do I have any shot of getting in as an OOS? Any advice would be helpful :)

2»

Replies to: Do I have any shot of getting in as an OOS? Any advice would be helpful :)

• WongTongTongWongTongTong 2649 replies85 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,734 Senior Member
    Ok I used only extra points for AP Courses. It says I have a UC GPA of 4.08 Does that decrease my chances by a lot? Geez never knew 3 Bs in AP classes could bring you down by so much.
    · Reply · Share
  • eyeheartphysicseyeheartphysics 587 replies22 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 609 Member
    Your weighted UC GPA is 4.08? If you calculated that correctly, I'm not sure if that's high enough for an OOS.
    · Reply · Share
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap 11539 replies251 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,790 Senior Member
    ^ Why would that be? The only OOS requirement is 3.4. OOS admission rates seem to be higher than instate.
    · Reply · Share
  • WongTongTongWongTongTong 2649 replies85 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,734 Senior Member
    I think I calculated it properly. Oh well, that's fine.

Anyway, what is the average GPA for an OOS? I mean my GPA is quite good within the context of my school (top 3.7%), but I guess it isn't competitive enough for Berkeley.
    · Reply · Share
    bumpappppp
    · Reply · Share
  • clueless2400clueless2400 436 replies41 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 477 Member
    a high income would be helpful too ; ]
    · Reply · Share
  • janitorc7janitorc7 36 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    People on CC seem to like looking at UC GPA a little much. Keep in mind that colleges, The University of California included, keep very detailed notes on high schools across the country. Your school sounds very competitive. Your E.C's look fantastic: I know that CC's like to think that every OOS applicant has completed published research, but, the truth is that they have not. It is something that really sets you apart.
    My best advise would be to your school's college advisor and ask for the average GPA's of alumni who have matriculated to The University of California. This is a FAR better estimate of your choices than average OOS GPA's from 49 states and countless applicants.

Try and take the SAT if you can. It never hurts to at least try it.

I will be VERY surprised if you are not offered admission; assuming the information that you gave us is correct.

Good luck and I hope you get the opportunity to be a California Golden Bear
    · Reply · Share
    ^I mean I understand GPA is important but I hope they also understand I took the most rigorous courses possible and I was very dedicated to my extracurriculars.

Last year, only one person applied to Berkeley and that was the valedictorian. He had a 4.8 (All As in most rigorous curriculum, 4.5 UC GPA), 2360 SAT, all state cross country, NMSF, jazz awards, and was a pretty bright kid.

Of course, he is not going to be the "average" kid that gets accepted to berkeley as an OOS, but I am worried because I am no where near him. (He got accepted for either Comp Engineering or EECS, I forget which one, which I assume is much more competitive than college of chemistry?

What ever I have provided you with is true. I gave up on the SATs, as of 8 months ago I got a 2080 (780 Math, 700 Writing, 10 Essay, 600 CR), of course I think my CR would go up if I take it now, but I am much better at the ACT so I think I'll just stick with that.
    · Reply · Share
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap 11539 replies251 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,790 Senior Member
    You did a great job! Relax and enjoy the reward, whatever it may be! "We" would love to have your out of state money (are you following the elections?), but there are other rewards out there.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity