Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

UCB or UVa?

2»

Replies to: UCB or UVa?

• bluedevilmikebluedevilmike Registered User Posts: 11,964 Senior Member
    The bottom line is that if you're worrying about prestige, then it matters whom you're trying to impress. A medical school admissions committee won't be any more impressed by Berkeley than UVa. (And, for that matter, neither is US News and World Report.) An engineering firm in China will be much more impressed by Berkeley than by UVa. An American who's basically familiar with college will disagree with #12, but a lot of internationals (or others who focus on PhD-level research) will think #12 is basically right.

Since the OP is a premed, the gap between UVa and Berkeley prestige-wise is negligible.

Moreover, even if the prestige gap were moderate, the environment concerns ought to trump. It turns out that being a good premed is really difficult when you're unhappy.
  • jc40jc40 Registered User Posts: 1,621 Senior Member
    Moreover, even if the prestige gap were moderate, the environment concerns ought to trump. It turns out that being a good premed is really difficult when you're unhappy.

Bluedevilmike...LOL! You've just summed up my D's thoughts to a tee! She's pre-med (1st year) and opted for UVa over Northwestern last year. Some thought she was crazy, but UVa's weather and social climate won her heart.

I personally feel UCB and UVa are more or less equal, and Cal's rep is in limbo right now given the state's economic woes -- GO WITH YOUR HEART!
  • rider730rider730 Registered User Posts: 2,980 Senior Member
    how come this thread is full of posts from people who attend, or whose children attend, UVa, UNC and Duke and other colleges in that region, who have little to zero knowledge of Cal, but instead of posting over in the UVa forum, came here to talk down Cal? Is the thread in the UVa forum filled with Berkeley students trashtalking the other school?

At least get answers from Cal students about what it is like at Cal and what is going on based on budget issues in the state, then make your decision.
    1.) I don't think that calling Cal and UVa roughly peer schools constitutes "trashing" Cal.

2.) For what it's worth, I grew up in Berkeley and know the school very well. The vast plurality of my friends went there.
  • FerociousaliceFerociousalice Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    If you don't mind me asking, where'd you go to for uni?
    Why ddnt you go to Berkeley?
    I went to Duke. For a variety of reasons, I never seriously considered attending Berkeley (despite winning what they call a "Regents" scholarship). One of those reasons is that it is too close to home and it is good for college students to travel.
  • FerociousaliceFerociousalice Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    What a coincidence! I was just wishing I applied to Duke today...my mother went to Duke and advised me not to apply. She didnt like Duke's environment. Lol it would've been fun being an alumni! :P
2»
This discussion has been closed.