right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What are your non-graduate school related plans after graduating?

NihongoyoNihongoyo 1724 replies530 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
I'm graduating in May and have no idea where my life's going. One thing I do know is grad school is off my priorities list, as I see no use for it in my future lol.
What are you guys thinking of doing as jobs? Not jobs? Fun?
edited January 2012
8 replies
Post edited by Nihongoyo on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What are your non-graduate school related plans after graduating?

• berklebearberklebear 250 replies44 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
    Lol I am not even close to graduating but I feel the same way. I feel like such a failure compared to everyone else here but then back home, nobody really did anything with their lives..but somehow I still feel the pressure to do well.
    · Reply · Share
  • caiacscaiacs 478 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 485 Member
    It's great that you feel the pressure to do well, whether that comes from yourself or someone else. That pressure is probably the first step to doing well. Just concentrate on schoolwork for now, and put in the effort needed to reach your goals. Don't ever feel like a failure.
    · Reply · Share
  • berklebearberklebear 250 replies44 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
    heh thanks. Yeah, idk when I was in high school, my friend used to always encourage me to do well and I think psychologically, it just told me, I can be as good as everyone else and that was really when I started getting A's instead of B's in AP classes. And now, I don't have anyone that cares about what I'm doing but I think I'm slowly figuring stuff out for myself.
    · Reply · Share
  • LemonCatLemonCat 490 replies46 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 536 Member
    I'm nowhere near being a senior, but I'm already scared, too. Not only about post-graduation jobs, but about undergrad internships and interviews and research while still in college. I'm only a freshman, but it seems EVERYONE has these amazing Nobel prize-winning ideas about the world and about stuff they wanna research. Maybe I'm not as enthusiastic or as smart, but dude, I'm sure I can't keep up. Crazy Berkeley geniuses!

A senior friend of mine once confided in me that she felt scared about finding a job because she hadn't "done anything productive" with her time at Berkeley. When I asked her what she *had* done, if anything, she listed a craaaapload of amazing stuff. She genuinely seemed to think, though, that compared to other Berkeley kids, she hadn't done anything. I was completely shocked. The competition here, it seems, is crazy and the thought of finding a job after this is completely unimaginable. I've given up the thought of going to grad school, lol.

I wonder if it's true that people travel after college? Haha, I've seen it in enough movies and stuff, anyway. It would be cool to get away from the stuffiness and the pressure of college and just find something that you want to do and that you won't get a chance to do afterwards. A volunteering or intership thing at a non profit? Something that really interests you? Maybe just going ahead and pursuing the dream job you wanted and the job you had in mind when you chose your Cal major? I dunno. The "real world" is scary, guys.
    · Reply · Share
  • whosthat1234whosthat1234 498 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 554 Member
    Your peers seem a lot less intimidating when you're a senior than when you're a freshman. Believe me! It's scary "looking up" as a lower-classman. But the fact is you'll be there too in due time. :)
    · Reply · Share
    haha i guess by senior year, people gain their confidence. confidence is a big thing though, really. the people who believe in themselves and everything here are probably going to do well. im slowly figuring stuff out too and that's one of the main things that holds me back sometimes.
    · Reply · Share
  • Waiting4CollegeWaiting4College 1772 replies194 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    Bungee jumping, study abroad, postbac for mcb 102 (i chickened out taking it here), maybe emt or research or mcat class? Order currently not decided :/

See you little freshies have nothing to worry about. Second semester senior and i still dont have Anything set in stone. Like a boss!
    · Reply · Share
    lol i like that your not worried. at least on the outside cause that translates to the inside at some point. what's your major again?

also if you study abroad after senior year, do you not care that most people will be younger than you? i supposed it doesn't matter but I hope there are older people than me for a few reasons : P
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity