Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is dropping out for a job in SF a good idea?

presvinaypresvinay Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
I am a 1st yr undergrad student who is only in college because my parents want me to be here. I have to pay $35,000 out-of-state tuition for Cal and my major is Political Science, which is my plan B I guess (going into politics). I want to start my own business in creating apps and designing software. With the assumption that businessmen don't need to go to school for business (please don't debate this), should I get an apartment near San Francisco and get a job there where I can get real business experience and make money? What type of job do you think I could land in SF?

For me it's business over everything and that's the only thing I want to do. I don't need to learn to code b/c I have people that I hire (using investor money) to do it.

My parents are back home in GA and I would have to hide the fact that I dropped out from them.

Replies to: Is dropping out for a job in SF a good idea?

• failure622failure622 Registered User Posts: 1,354 Senior Member
    Personally I'd say that sounds like a bad idea.

What happens if your app doesn't go as well as you'd hoped? If you have a degree, plan B is a lot easier to go with. Lying to your parents also seems pretty sketchy. I'd say get the degree, then you have options if the worst should happen. Also, apartments in SF are crazy expensive, you'd be better off staying here and commuting.

Think about the worst case. Assuming you can't find a job or your business fails - not that it will, but what if - where will that leave you? What options would you have? What if you can't get anything better than a fast food job in SF? What if things just don't work out in your favor?

Is it possible to do both? Take your classes, work towards that degree. Maybe get a part time job or an internship if you can find one (keep in mind, you have no experience and no degree right now). Or, try starting up your own app while you're still in school. I have a friend who was doing that, he had engineers he had hired, and I think he was finally on the Apple app store last Spring.

If that's not an option and you can't find people to work for you, maybe take some classes. CS61A and CS61B would give you a general background in how to code, and enough knowledge to understand what your future "people that I hire" are doing, or what needs they have. There's also CS160 (User Interfaces) which typically teaches Android, and lets students design/build an app in small groups. Again, this option would require you to both stay in school and take some potentially scarring classes. Or there's CS10 (Beauty and Joy) if you want the fluffy, gentle introduction to CS.
  • Jweinst1Jweinst1 Registered User Posts: 382 Member
    To put this the simplest way:

IF you have an idea that can make a quarter trillionaire dollar company, and can code as good as steve wozniak, go for it.

If not, you will fail miserably.
  • music1990music1990 Registered User Posts: 897 Member
    I really think you should stay in school. Lying to your parents would catch up to you.
  • hanaviolethanaviolet Registered User Posts: 400 Member
    An internship in business or politics is the thing you are looking for.
  • Pennylane2011Pennylane2011 Registered User Posts: 2,716 Senior Member
    Beyond the fact that lying to your parents if you drop out is wrong, you are also setting yourself up for a perpetual string of lies. If you visit, and when they call, they will ask how your classes are going, what you are studying. Even if they never find out, lying to your parents is going to damage your relationship with them because you will need to be dishonest with them from then on. You will have to continue to lie to family and friends to keep them from hearing something.

They could find out accidentally: they may get some kind of mail at your home address, or someone might call their home for you. Eventually they will find out when they plan a visit or expect you to graduate. This will damage your relationship with them as they will lose their trust in you.

I suggest you speak to the counseling center at Cal and to your parents before you make changes behind their backs.

• UpMagicUpMagic Registered User Posts: 1,410 Senior Member
    If you actually get an offer, come back to this board.
  • elitepwnageelitepwnage Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    So I see you're the adventurous, ambitious type of guy, which is great.

Now, think realistically: you're offered a world-class education (which your parents apparently forced you into), which is by no means cheap, but can offer you a high-paying job in the end. And you can land many jobs and internships by networking and other means.

You want to throw away that option, and instead start a business (by yourself?) and hire people through investor money (who do you know in SF?). Chances of success? Pretty slim. I'm not trying to bring you down, but rather being realistic.

So maybe you didn't want to go to college. For whatever reason that is, put it aside. Think about this: hardly anyone gets a chance to think about going to a world-class school, let alone getting in. God has blessed you with an education, a world-class one that too, but you're not appreciating it.

Berkeley is what you make of it. Go to classes, study happily and do what you love. You love business, fantastic! There are many business clubs on campus, from consulting firms to competitive ones like PBL. These will get you the experience you want in SF, and potentially let you in jobs and internships. You can study and work, or take a year off and work, and then return to school, or whatever. And please don't lie to your parents, they are your true well-wishers who want nothing but your success.

The choice is yours, so let it be a good and wise one.

This discussion has been closed.