Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

University of Washington vs. UC Berkeley for premed?

msincrediblemsincredible Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
I know U of W has an elite medical school and a great pre-med program, and I also have the advantage of paying in-state tuition for UW. However, UC Berkeley is overall a better fit for me in terms of social atmosphere, location, and overall college experience. I know UC Berkeley has a great science program, but I can't find any information about how well it prepares students for medical school. UC Berkeley would also be crazy expensive for me since I am out of state. Advice? Comments? Thanks!

Replies to: University of Washington vs. UC Berkeley for premed?

• TheDadTheDad Registered User, ! Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    Not an expert in pre-Med. However, in addition to UW's great pre-med program per se, I don't think you will find yourself subject to as much GPA risk. The science classes, such as O-chem, are notoriously competitive at Berkeley, with some being "weeder" classes designed to thin out the herd.

There are quite a few scenarios where I would encourage one who was aiming for the stars to take Berkeley over UW. Pre-Med just doesn't happen to be one of them. It will be your Med school, not your undergrad, that really can make your reputation.

Take with as much salt as you feel is necessary.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 71,644 Senior Member
    I know UC Berkeley has a great science program, but I can't find any information about how well it prepares students for medical school.

https://career.berkeley.edu/MedStats/MedStats.stm

However, medical school is expensive (probably $300,000 unless you get lucky and get into in-state Washington for about $150,000). It seems unlikely that Berkeley is worth the extra $100,000 or so that could be used for medical school to reduce your debt load at the end of medical school. High debt as a physician can limit your choices of specialty, in that you may need to seek higher paying specialties to be able to pay off the high debt.
  • UpMagicUpMagic Registered User Posts: 1,408 Senior Member
    Stay at UDub. The out-of-state tuition is not worth it especially for pre-med program.
  • DrGoogleDrGoogle Registered User Posts: 11,047 Senior Member
    I think it's a mistake to go to UCB for premed.
  • DrGoogleDrGoogle Registered User Posts: 11,047 Senior Member
    Beside the OOS money as an issue.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,357 Senior Member
    Agree with the above posters. UW is a really good school and my DD really wanted to get in but we couldn't afford the tuition.
This discussion has been closed.