Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Applying to Berkeley as an immigrant who has done his high school abroad. What re my Chances!!!!!??

anandjlanandjl Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
Firstly , I think I should explain my situation. I'm an indian student who
just graduated from a reputed high school in Dubai, U.A.E. I'd spent most of my time living as an expatriate with my family . My school followed the CBSE curriculum (indian curriculum) and I'd performed well enough in my last year (Overall at 86 percent which in gpa terms is around 3.44). But recently my family received an immigrant visa after 13 years of waiting , just as my high school ended in april. We're scheduled to move to California state in mid july. Just like other immigrants i was quite excited about the prospects of such a journey!
y dream is getting into UC Berkeley but due to the fact I became an immigrant only in april 2015 , I'd long passed the deadline for fall 2015 admissions. Hence, I'll have to join a community college in the mean time.
But I still wish to join berkeley as a freshman and soak in the experience completely!
So I'm planning to apply again next year. The bigger question here is how would berkeley view me as an applicant ( who's done most of high school outside the united states and is now an immigrant!?)
I'd like to hear from all of you.
GO Bears!!!
Post edited by Chedva on

Replies to: Applying to Berkeley as an immigrant who has done his high school abroad. What re my Chances!!!!!??

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 23,905 Forum Champion
    UC Berkley only accepts Junior level transfer with 60 semester units. You need to wait another year to apply, which means a total of 2 years at a CC. Your HS transcripts will not be considered unless you plan to use your AP/IB credits toward the 60 unit minimum. I would work with your CC advisor.
    http://admissions.berkley.edu/transferstudents
  • LVKrisLVKris Registered User Posts: 514 Member
    edited June 2015
    What an exciting time for your family! I hope your move to the US goes smoothly, and that you feel welcomed in your new home.

No matter where in the world you are applying from, you have the same two challenges as all other applicants - getting admitted, and paying the cost of attendance.

Berkeley is very selective. Only about 20% of applicants are admitted each year. Admitted students have an average unweighted high school GPA around 3.9, and an SAT score around 2100. Thousands of students with similar scores are denied admission each year.

Until you establish California residency for tuition purposes, your COA would be around $55,000 per year. Once you (and your parents) have lived in California long enough, you would be eligible for in-state tuition rates.
  • anandjlanandjl Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2015
    @LVKris - Thank you so much for the quick reply! I do know about Cal and how selective it can be. As i'd already mentioned, my plan is to apply to berkeley for fall 2016 after moving in the next month. So that means I'll only be able to secure residency by next july. So my question is it possible to apply as a resident for fall 2016?
    edited June 2015
    @Gumbymom - Hey , my school did not offer AP's . Is it still possible for someone to attain 60 credit minimum in a year without ap's or is it just too damn crazy!? And do other uc's accept lower division transfer? If so, can you tell me what is required for such a path?
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,359 Senior Member
    Mostly there is physical presence and intent. Your parents need to have paid California state taxes by Fall 2015 to apply for schools in Fall 2016.
    Just because your family is immigrating, does not mean you will gain automatic admission to the UCs. Berkeley is tough and you cannot assume that you will gain entry.
    Aunt bea - lol . Of course , Berkeley is tough! I never assumed I'd get some "direct" entry!
    Can anyone give me a technical insight on gaining california residency? I've heard that you need to stay in california state for a year to become a resident.
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    The residency requirements are detailed on the UC website. Google is your friend.
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC Posts: 23,905 Forum Champion
    How to establish residency as a non-US citiizen.
    http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Registrar/non-citizen.html

I would take a GAP year and then apply as a Freshman. You could travel/volunteer/work during this year to strengthen your application. All UC's only accept Junior Level transfers and taking 60 units in 1 year is pretty impossible unless you have IB/AP credit.
This discussion has been closed.