Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Please Chance me and give me more information regarding the Rhetoric or Middle Eastern Studies major

pleaseberkeleypleaseberkeley Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
Major: Currently History but will change to Rhetoric or Middle Eastern Studies, whichever is less competitive.
GPA: 3.7
Major GPA: 4.0 for history
EC: President of chess club, History 7 honors, member of Muslim student association, Psych club, Alpha Gamma Sigma honors society,
Volunteer: 200 in a hospital, 200 at local mosques, 50 at democratic headquarters, volunteered at the Afghanistan Embassy under the Ambassador of Afghanistan in Spain
Hooks: First generation college student, poor, minority (Afghan), been working since I was 14, a very rough life with experiences of racism, homelessness, poverty, death in family, moving often, identity crisis, etc

Bad: I got a B in religious studies nature of islam, ENG 1A and Eng 4. I got a W in math 55, and a NP in math 55. I got a P in 65, and currently working towards a P in 55. Will take math for liberal arts majors when I am done.

Good: I can write a a very good personal statement. My great grandparents and grandparents were servants in Afghanistan and my parents are illiterate. I am the only one to ever attend High School. Would writing that I am only interested in CAL help? My parents are in poor health and I can't move out, I need to be there for them. I live close enough to UCB to live at home and commute. I also play a lot of basketball but I got injured during try outs for my local jc. Had I made it, I would have been the shortest Afghan American to every play college basketball. Would this be good to mention or is it irrelevant because I did not make the team? I also intend on going to law school at Cal, does this make me look better?

Please chance me for all three majors, if I don't get in I will probably have to commute to Davis, or wait a year and reapply.

Replies to: Please Chance me and give me more information regarding the Rhetoric or Middle Eastern Studies major

This discussion has been closed.