right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Conditions of admission question

chickenchikchickenchik 5 replies1 threads New Member
Do non a-g courses or college classes count towards the 3.0 uw gpa admission requirement?
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Conditions of admission question

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 30323 replies393 threads Forum Champion
    No, non a-g HS courses do not count towards the 3.0 UW GPA provisional admission requirement and non UC transferable courses would also not count, but getting anything lower than a C in any course HS or College could not look good to a competitive school like UCB.
    · Reply · Share
  • chickenchikchickenchik 5 replies1 threads New Member
    So to clarify, the college class (linear algebra if it matters) won't count towards the 3.0 uw gpa admission requirement? It won't show up on my high school transcript, only my college one, if that matters.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 2019
    Linear algebra is a UC transferable course, so it will count in regards to the 3.0 UW GPA and anything lower than a C would be grounds for being rescinded.
    edited June 2019
    · Reply · Share
    Sorry to keep asking questions, but even if I know berkeley won't give me credit for it? The curriculum of the class doesn't match any of the Berkeley linear algebra classes.
    · Reply · Share
    Are you taking this course at a California Community college? If so, did you check assist.org to see if it is UC transferable?

I would contact UCB admissions and clarify if this course will be an issue.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, I've verified on both assist.org and asked my math teacher if it's transferable to UC Berkeley with both stating that they don't take any credit for this class. I plan to call them tomorrow.
    Thanks for your help!
    · Reply · Share
    Please post what they say and best of luck.
    · Reply · Share
    Hi, just to update anyone who’s been following, gumbymom hit the nail on the head. Non a-g courses don’t count and neither do non transferable uc Berkeley classes towards your 3.0 uw gpa for conditions of admission. I just called them today
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4184 replies92 threads Senior Member
    a Linear Algebra class would count as a transferrable UC class, not sure why it wouldn't. At Berkeley you have to take Differential Equations along with Linear Algebra in order to get Linear Algebra credit, so if you screwed up either Linear Algebra or DE in CC you wouldn't get the Linear Algebra credit at UCB.
    · Reply · Share
    Just another update. I emailed my regional admission officer and he said that all of my courses are factored towards the 3.0 gpa requirement. This conflicts the information that I received when I called them and I was just wondering which one is more trustworthy.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 4949 replies86 threads Senior Member
    This conflicts the information that I received when I called them and I was just wondering which one is more trustworthy.

Who did you speak with earlier today? Not the person's name (but I hope you know it), but what was this person's position?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity