right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Housing choices for sophomores

LMK5LMK5 114 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
My soon-to-be freshman hasn't checked into the dorms yet, but I am thinking ahead to understand what the choices are for her second year. Are there UCB choices for sophomores and if so, are they difficult to get? Is finding your own off campus housing a better way to go? What about coop housing? I believe my student may have priority for that option.
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Housing choices for sophomores

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77784 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    For second year housing in the BSC co-ops, he may want to put in an application now, since the wait list is processed in application order.
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 3990 replies86 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    With Blackwell opening up last year, Housing more-or-less was able to offer any sophomore who applied for housing this year. I would say though that the vast majority of sophomores still look for off-campus since they often make friends who are in the same situation. FWIW my kid was lucky enough to remain at Blackwell, the home of the bourgeoisie lol, for his second year. (I copied that from someone on Reddit).
    · Reply · Share
  • LMK5LMK5 114 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @ProfessorPlum168 , is the attraction of off campus housing the lower cost? When do students need to start looking for off campus housing and what is the usual leasing period?
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 3990 replies86 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 9
    @LMK5 in most cases, cost is the driving factor for off-campus Housing. In some cases, lack of continuing student availability is the driver, and in some cases the need for more room is a driving factor.

Leases in the immediate area almost always goes from June-May. I think people start looking around Feb-March but it depends how picky one is. Often I see last minute offers on Craigslist or Facebook or Reddit even as late as Aug 1 (though I definitely wouldn’t wait that long).

Applications for on-campus housing start on Feb 1 and offers go out in mid-March.
    edited August 9
    · Reply · Share
  • LMK5LMK5 114 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Thanks @ProfessorPlum168 . My student will be moving into Unit 1 on 8/20 but I'll start to learn about off campus options for next year.
    · Reply · Share