right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Chance me for Cal - nothing left to do but wait and wonder!

MsPuffkinMsPuffkin 8 replies1 threads New Member
First time chance me, just for fun since I've been skulking all of these sites for the past 3 months.

CA resident

GPA: 4.0
UC capped/weighted: 4.31
ACT: 34 - one sitting
APs: Psych 5, World 4, Lang 5, APUSH 5, Bio 5, Calc BC 5.
Current APs: Comp Sci, Lit, Stats, Env Sci, Gov/Econ

Applied to L&S as tentative Psych major

EC:
- Advanced Women's Showchoir 4 years, National Champion 2019, runner up 2018. Soloist, guitar player.
- Varsity Basketball - made Varsity as freshman, decided to quit and continue show choir as it was more my passion and a better experience.
- Volunteer instructor - work in a fitness program 2 days a week, designed for people with autism spectrum disorder and other cognitive, social, physical disabilities.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competitor - started at age 10, have won or medaled in several regional and national tournaments.
- Fashion design - design and sew clothes, dresses, accessories for various functions. Includes hair styling, and braiding for jiu jitsu athletes for competition.
- Various clubs like CSF, NHS, etc.

Awards:
- Nothing major, just the usual non-descript stuff for academics, APs, etc. National Merit commended.

Essays:
- They were OK. Not my favorite supplementals that I wrote, but touched on the things I love to do and hope to pursue.

Not first gen, both parents with grad degrees. No other hooks.

So competitive these days, it can get a bit discouraging. But I did my best in school and pursued the things I love to do, so I guess whatever happens was meant to be. Applied to UCLA, UCB, UCSD, UCI, UCSB, and a few reach privates, of which one already gave me the no-no.

Good luck all this upcoming year and beyond!
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Chance me for Cal - nothing left to do but wait and wonder!

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 29803 replies316 threads Forum Champion
    You are competitive for all the schools but consider UCB a Reach due to the low acceptance rate but you are definitely in the running.

2018 Freshman admit rates for UC GPA of 4.20 or above capped weighted and not major specific:
    UCB: 37%
    UCLA: 41%
    UCSD: 70%
    UCSB: 80%
    UCD: 89%
    UCI: 75%
    UCSC: 92%
    UCR: 96%
    UCM: 98%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range:
    UCB: 4.23 (4.15-4.30)
    UCLA: 4.25 (4.18-4.32)
    UCSD: 4.16 (4.03-4.28)
    UCSB: 4.16 (4.04-4.28)
    UCI: 4.13 (4.00-4.25)
    UCD: 4.13 (4.00-4.26)
    UCSC: 3.96 (3.76-4.16)
    UCR: 3.90 (3.69-4.11)
    UCM: 3.73 (3.45-4.00)

25th - 75th percentiles for ACT composite + language arts
    UCB: 28-35
    UCLA: 29-35
    UCSD: 26-34
    UCSB: 26-34
    UCD: 24-33
    UCI: 24-34
    UCSC: 24-32
    UCR: 21-30
    UCM: 18-26

Best of luck and I am sure you will have several options in the Spring.
    · Reply · Share
  • MsPuffkinMsPuffkin 8 replies1 threads New Member
    Thanks, appreciate it! Some options are all I'm hoping for!
    · Reply · Share