right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

University of California Berkeley Residency Requirements

Supermom74Supermom74 15 replies4 threads Junior Member
Does the University of California Berkeley assess Resident vs Non Resident status for Tuition purposes Once for a new incoming undergrad Or is this assessed each semester or each calendar year?
edited July 13
9 replies
Post edited by CCAdmin_Vic on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: University of California Berkeley Residency Requirements

  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83829 replies743 threads Senior Member
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10376 replies73 threads Senior Member
    Yes, please refer to the Residency Guidelines for the UC's.
    Typically, when your child applies, if your residence is out of state, at the time of application, and your child is under 24 years of age, your child is assumed to be a dependent child, for tuition purposes, and will pay for all 4 years as an OOS ($65K).
    The residency determination office doesn't initiate a re-evaluation of all of the OOS students each semester or year. Typically, it's the other way around.
    If you think your child could become a resident, this is VERY difficult to achieve. Your child would have to forgo attending the university, for at least a year, and move to California, independently, with his own funds. He would have to work full-time in California, pay taxes, maintain a residence and adhere to a very strict budget that matches his California income tax form (540). ANY funds received from parents or relatives could not be used for proof of California income and his application for residency would be rejected. He must pay the going rate for rentals. (Which in California is ridiculously expensive). His income would have to match his California tax forms and he would have to delineate and account for every expense noted in his name. Credit history, to rent an apartment, would be difficult.

    Because of these rules, it would be really hard for him to do this on his own. Rents in California, that are not in agricultural areas, are very high. As a high school graduate, without a college degree, finding a job that paid a minimum of $2K (rent+expenses for 1 bdrm, not including food, transportation, etc.), would be extremely difficult to locate. Parent loans or any "friend" help, in any area, would be rejected.

    California residents pay a large amount of instate taxes that fund the public universities. Funding is prioritized for in state residents. As a nonresident, he has to pay full fees for all four years.
    · Reply · Share
  • Supermom74Supermom74 15 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Thank you for your replies so far. I've read thru the UC Residency Policy and am trying to ascertain my understanding in the following situation -

    Kid is under 18, we have resided in California for over 20 years. Kid is starting at U C Berkeley and has the in-state/resident status.

    Due to my spouse's job situation, there is a possibility that we may need to move to a location outside of California in 6 months. We hope that it does not happen, but it remains a possibility.

    So the question is - A new undergrad admit is determined to be a resident at the time of admission at UCB. Will the kid's residency be re-assessed if the parents end up moving while the kid is attending the school? Is the residency determination done each year or each semester?

    Assume that the kid remains continuously enrolled in UCB for the 4 years undergrad.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83829 replies743 threads Senior Member
    Section II says that residency is checked upon new enrollment or returning after a gap. It does not say that it is checked at other times, but you may want to ask specifically whether that means that residency status is valid as long as the student maintains continuous enrollment.

    However, if a student otherwise classified as non-resident graduated high school in California after at least three years of attendance in California and is not on a non-immigrant visa, s/he will qualify for exemption of non-resident tuition under AB540 provisions. See Appendix D.
    · Reply · Share
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers 888 replies2 threads Member
    I would hope that being a California taxpayer for all of those years would get you 4 years of in-state tuition as @ucbalumnus says. It would certainly be the fairest thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10376 replies73 threads Senior Member
    Yes, there is a section that describes that specific situation.
    Section IV B.6
    . Parent of Minor Who Moves from California - A Minor Student whose Parent moves from California to establish residence elsewhere will be entitled to a Resident Classification if the Minor Student remains in California and enrolls full time in a post-secondary institution within one year of the date that the Parent establishes a new residence. The Student’s Resident Classification will continue as long as the Student maintains continuous full-time attendance at the post-secondary institution. Financial Independence will not be required. Requirements:
    • The Parent must have qualified as a California resident for tuition purposes immediately prior to departure.
    • The Parent must have established a residence elsewhere during the Student’s minority and within one year immediately prior to the Student’s University enrollment.
    • With the exception of short absences, the Student must have remained in California on a continuous basis prior to admission to a UC campus.
    • The Student must maintain continuous full-time enrollment at a post-secondary institution. If Student has enrolled in more than one post-secondary institution, all such attendances must amount to continuous and full-time enrollment.
    Double-Check this with the RDO on your intended campus. He should be able to retain his instate status.
    · Reply · Share
  • Supermom74Supermom74 15 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @aunt bea Thanks.
    This situation addresses a case of parents moving out during student's minority and one year prior to new enrollment.

    In our situation, kid is a minor, is a new admission to undergrad, has Resident status. We may have a need to move out in 6 months to a year from now. The kid would be 18+ at that time.

    I did not see a reference that applies to this scenario in the policy.

    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 30688 replies440 threads Forum Champion
    Contact UCB directly to find out for sure. If he enrolls and attends UCB prior to you moving, he should retain his in-state status all 4 years. I personally know of a similar situation but the campus was UCSB and the family did call admissions to confirm.
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10376 replies73 threads Senior Member
    If your child has resident status now, he should be okay for residency (at 18+ and attending/living on campus) because he's had 3 years in a California high school, and he'll be on campus for four years.
    When your child applied and was accepted, your child was (and is) a California resident. This shouldn't be an issue because you "paid dues" when you filed your 540's every year. As an adult, he is a California resident.
    Again, the residency determination office would be your point of contact. Your support system will be his high school staff. Make sure to get confirmation of resident status, in a written, printed format. He shouldn't be penalized because of your move.
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity