right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UC Berkely Acceptance Rate

AbdlrahmankobAbdlrahmankob 2 replies1 threads New Member
Hello I'm an international student currently in high school I have 1 year left beside this one , I currently hold a gpa of 3.70 My Avarage grade is 87% I'm currently the third in my class my question is what is my chance of being accepted to UC Berkely
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UC Berkely Acceptance Rate

• AbdlrahmankobAbdlrahmankob 2 replies1 threads New Member
    And I forgot to say I'm aiming and working to achieve an SAT score above 1350
    · Reply · Share
  • AbdlrahmankobAbdlrahmankob 2 replies1 threads New Member
    I also i have read that if i wasn't accepted i can go to community colleges for a year get high grades and transfer to uc berkely
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 30718 replies442 threads Forum Champion
    Here is some UCB statistical data for 2019 since 2020 data is not yet available. Consider UCB a Reach school and formulate your college list based on this assumption.

Admission Rates for International Applicants:
    UC Berkeley: 9.16%

2019 UC capped weighted GPA averages along with 25th-75th percentile range (Overall):
    UCB: 4.23 (4.15-4.30)

2019 Data:
    25th - 75th percentiles for SAT totals:
    UCB: 1340-1540

Regarding community college and transferring. UCB accepts only Junior level transfers (minimum 60 semester/90 quarter units), so unless you have a significant amount of AP or Dual Enrollment credit, you are looking at 2 years minimum at a CC. You will also be full pay at the CC and at UCB, since they offer little to no financial aid to International applicants. Is $65K/year to attend UCB affordable?

This link show UC Transfer GPA by campus and major for additional information: https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/infocenter/transfers-major

· Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83881 replies744 threads Senior Member
    Use https://rogerhub.com/gpa-calculator-uc/ to recalculate your weighted-capped high school GPA for comparison to the above information.
    · Reply · Share
  • CalCUStanfordCalCUStanford 212 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @Abdlrahmankob : And please, don't ever misspell Berkeley (instead of your Berkely) again in your essay. :wink: I knew, you're an international student.
    · Reply · Share
    As a non-resident, international student like you, community colleges and UCB ($65K/yr) can be both costly as Gumbymom pointed out in Post#3. Take CCSF for example, the tuition fee alone per semester unit is $290 + $46.00 enrollment fee per unit.

CSU is significantly cheaper (@$396 per semester unit for Y2020-21=>$11,880+$18,900=$30,780/yr, incl living expense) very well-known and could be VERY SELECTIVE for certain impacted majors.

And yes, always worth a try. Good luck to your college application (i.e, UCB)!
    · Reply · Share
    Of course, CC is cheaper than CSU.
    · Reply · Share
    For Post#6: I was referring to some selective CSUs such as Cal Poly-SLO, Cal Poly Pomona, SJSU and SDSU.
    · Reply · Share