right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Ask questions about Cal Berkeley here!

1124125126127128130»

Replies to: Ask questions about Cal Berkeley here!

• HUGHMUNGUSGPA67HUGHMUNGUSGPA67 2 replies3 threadsRegistered User New Member
    For those of you who took Stat 20, who should I take it with for Fall 2019, Ibser or Stoyanov?I heard they are both pretty bad though...
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4077 replies87 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    For those of you who took Stat 20, who should I take it with for Fall 2019, Ibser or Stoyanov?I heard they are both pretty bad though...
    I haven't heard anything about either Professor. In general though, the person that makes a class a good one/bad one (or tolerable/non-tolerable) is the Discussion leader, the GSI. I would choose the class based more on your schedule more than anything.

Do note that ratings from a place like Rate My Professor could be a bit misleading sometimes, since a lot of times, only disgruntled students post on that site, just like with a place like Yelp is for restaurants. Eta Kappa Nu has course surveys for all CS and EE classes over the past 10 years, which are usually a much better indicator - not sure if something equivalent exists for Stats classes.

· Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78248 replies690 threadsRegistered User Senior Member

Since your other thread says that you are also majoring in statistics, why not take 134 instead of 20 to cover a requirement for both majors?
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 1437 replies29 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Question about political activism on campus. What’s the climate like for Jewish students especially in regards to anti-Israel and anti-semitism?
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 21
    Question about political activism on campus. What’s the climate like for Jewish students especially in regards to anti-Israel and anti-semitism?

Decades ago, Israeli/Palestinian politics on campus was mostly Arabs/Muslims who hate Jews and Jews who hate Arabs/Muslims who yelled at and protested each other and got most of the media attention (those who didn't hate apparently stayed away). Considering events since then, I would not have high expectations of civility or expectations for anything other than more bigotry in this issue.
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • Walter924Walter924 191 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @HUGHMUNGUSGPA67
    Well I took it with Stoyanov and she's pretty fine except she's really anti-computers in her class, so if you have one out in the 150 person lecture hall, she will call you out. She calls people out for something or other every class. She talks sort of stream of consciousness so she says a lot of random stuff, which is sort of funny sometimes. I don't know about Ibsen. Just do it based off your schedule. Neither are amazing. They've been incorporating coding using R into the class, which is hard if you haven't coded before, but I thought using R to analyze the data sets for a project was sort of cool. Made some pretty graphs.

@socaldad2002
    The Jewish sector of campus seems pretty big and tight knit. There's the new Hillel they just built. They have barbeques a few times a year. Unit 3 has the kosher station.
    But yeah, the 70 year old hippies hand out an anti Israel impinging on Palestine flyer on Sproul every Thursday. I didn't hear of any Jew/Arab protests this year, but then again, I'm not Jewish or Arabic.
    · Reply · Share
  • nigelunonigeluno 102 replies8 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    How does rushing work at Cal? Is there anything I should know about Greek life there before going in?
    · Reply · Share
  • musiclover5musiclover5 84 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    When do we know our actual room numbers at Cal? Is it only when we actually arrive? If so, how do we obtain the fridge/microwave?
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4077 replies87 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    For freshmen, yes you get your room number when you pick up you key/card on your move-in day (for almost all freshmen, that will be Tuesday Aug 20). For some some freshmen, like my kid’s roommate, they will know the number ahead of time because continuing students who are living in on-campus housing get to pick their room ahead of time.

Housing should know the numbers ahead of time so I’m pretty sure that if you ordered you Microchill and only specified the dorm name, they’ll put it in the right location. (This is what I think happens from what I heard, not 100% sure on this, but I have to believe this info is accurate).
    · Reply · Share
  • NhatrangNhatrang 161 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    So what are the chances of DD getting into the cognitive science class if she is wait listed #19? She is a freshman and wants to declare the cognitive science major
    · Reply · Share
    @Nhatrang ugh, probably not that good (assuming you are talking about CogSci 1). Usually in the fall the class is smaller for some reason - 150 as opposed to the Spring when the class size is 300. If she is planning on taking numerous CS lower division classes (I'll assume she's taking CS 61A this semester), she might want to hold off on declaring CogSci until a bit later - undeclared students get priority for lower division CS classes and she'll need to take 3 of them (Data 8, CS 61A and possibly CS 70). Either that, or perhaps she's taking both CS 61A and Data 8 this semester, just to get them out of the way.

@smsk is a CogSci major, she can definitely help answer other questions.
    · Reply · Share
    https://berkeleytime.com/enrollment can give you historical enrollment levels of various courses.
    · Reply · Share
  • Walter924Walter924 191 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @Nhatrang
    Waitlist isn't usually by major or year.
    The academic counselors if asked will tell you that 10% of the class (waitlist length) gets in. Eh. I've gotten in off of really long waitlists, but then again, I'm 47/48 (or more. Combined class. Might be 66/67, 300 people) for a 237 person class right now, so I might not get into that.
    If she's the last person on the waitlist or otherwise, check to see how long the waitlist is for her discussion section because if 1 person is waitlisted for a discussion section vs 5, some classes let people in based on discussion section drops.
    If the waitlist is really long the teacher might, say try to get a bigger classroom, or scare off students the first day. So if she's 19/60 on the waitlist, that might be a good thing. If she's 19/19, not so much.
    Really, just wait it out. Go to class, go to discussion, hope that other people get freaked out by the class or get tired of being on the waitlist and give up. Email the professor, talk to the GSI. Don't get the textbook.
    · Reply · Share
  • NhatrangNhatrang 161 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Thank you @Walter924 @ProfessorPlum168 and @ucbalumnus

This whole class registration process has been so stressful for DD. She got into Chem1a with lab, CS 61A, and a freshmen seminar. Wait listed for CogSci 1 and English. She would only keep one of the 2 wait listed if she got in but if she didn’t get into either one, she would be short in units. So she signed up for some American culture class that she isn’t thrilled about just in case.

Question: does the Berkeley time website have historical exams too? I remember someone shared a link about that but I can’t be sure.

On a separate note, move-in was pretty seamless. The good bye wasn’t as emotional as I was afraid. I think she had enough of us being with her for the entire week doing the Bay Area and Cal stuff, she was so ready to be on her own. Will be back for Home game against Michigan State! I bought 8 seats in a row and I don’t even know who else are coming beside hubby and I and her 2 best friends in NJ 😂.

Thanks again everyone
    · Reply · Share
    Many historical exams can be found here: https://tbp.berkeley.edu/courses/

Also, some instructors and departments may provide them for their own courses.
    · Reply · Share