Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Ways to be more realistic

dontchadontcha Registered User Posts: 639 Member
Ok, here's the deal...I'm a kid who, up to this point, has had things pretty easily. Additionally, I work very hard at everything I do, so much so that I never "quit" or "lose" in anything (well, I lose in soccer, bball, etc.). Bottom line: I have never been rejected outright by anyone.
Well, UC/Ivy decisions come out beginning in March. BUT, I'm not really that nervous. My mind tells me that I will get in, it seems, solely because I have never been mentally trained to deal with rejection.
How do you suggest I deal with this? Is it wrong for me to get my hopes up? Any suggestions welcome
Post edited by dontcha on

Replies to: Ways to be more realistic

• kyledavid80kyledavid80 Registered User Posts: 8,093 Senior Member
    Put yourself out there more. If this is the first time you're really reaching, then that might be indicative of what you've done in the past. I know someone who is something like you; he was very confident, expected a 2250+ on the SAT, but fell short (below 2000). He expected to get Boys' State, to get a position on the newspaper staff, etc. and didn't get any of it. It was a humbling experience, and I think that's good. (Funnily enough, he's applying to Berkeley and is assuming he'll get in, though he declared bioengineering. I think that will be another humbling experience.)

One method might be to expect the worst. But really, it's the experience that breaks you of this mindset. You're going to experience rejection in your life; if not now for college, then later -- perhaps for jobs, or research positions, or people. The best you can do is take it in stride, or try to train yourself mentally (that's pretty difficult, though).
  • CastelCastel Registered User Posts: 1,767 Senior Member
    It's not wrong. You've succeeded in life (so far), and so your expectations have been met.

Just don't handle it horribly and start shooting people randomly.
  • dontchadontcha Registered User Posts: 639 Member
    i'm not always aware of my abilities and have the tendency to misjudge my place (for better or worse)...I don't necessarily straight-up expect to get in, but it's hard to imagine another scenario after 17 years
  • feuerwerkefeuerwerke Registered User Posts: 408 Member
    dontcha - - it is hard to be realistic about these things. from your first paragraph up there, it seems that you are just like me. i haven't hardly had any hardships or problems to keep me from succeeding in practically everything i do, esp in the area of school. but at the same time, i've worked really hard to do that. i get anxiety really bad though and i assume this coming semester (as i have indeed applied to cal for this coming fall) will be a real test of my patience and ability to cope with possible rejection letters.

so with all that being said, i deal with it by trying to put things in perspective. i think to myself 'wherever i end up going is where i should be'. also if you do get rejected from your choice college (and the same goes if you get fired from a job or some other similar "failure"), just think of it this way: they are going to regret their decision because you will just go on to do bigger and better things, and years from now you will be famous and rich and they will wish they had admitted you (or kept you) or whatever. yes, it might seem a little self-absorbed, but it works for the time being.

anyways, good luck in your academic endeavors nevertheless!
This discussion has been closed.