right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

2009 Berkeley Applications

Replies to: 2009 Berkeley Applications

• TheBlackLanternTheBlackLantern 648 replies124 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 772 Member
    oh what the........ guess my friend was wrong but i really wouldnt doubt the 86k
    · Reply · Share
  • Ren the SAT'erRen the SAT'er 2181 replies122 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,303 Senior Member
    omg o.o does this mean my berk dream ... is shattered? =S
    no good~! sheesh
    · Reply · Share
  • myBerkeleyAppmyBerkeleyApp 12 replies0 discussionsCollege Rep Posts: 12 New Member
    The 86,000 figure is WAAAAY off. This year's undergrad application counts are not radically different from the last few years. I'm not authorized to release any statistics, but you can check this one off your worry list!
    · Reply · Share
  • Ren the SAT'erRen the SAT'er 2181 replies122 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,303 Senior Member
    ^ Thanks! =]
    · Reply · Share
  • bartlebybartleby 1162 replies60 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,222 Senior Member
    Called it...
    · Reply · Share
  • RaNeRaNe 386 replies100 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 486 Member
    Lawl.
    People, did you really think that the total number of applications received would go from 48,400 to 86,000+ in ONE year? Come on.
    · Reply · Share
  • bartlebybartleby 1162 replies60 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,222 Senior Member
    Then people wonder when I get annoyed with them thinking that all Berkeley students are smart. Uh, clearly, no, many are not.
    · Reply · Share
  • sofla951sofla951 272 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    bartleby get over yourself although I would have had to read the official release to believe it 86,000 applications isn't completely impossible given CA has over 38 million ppl and the way the economy is right now. 86,000 apps if you would look at CA is only probably around 23% or less of the total graduating class this year and thats saying every app is an instate student, not including OOS. I thought it was very unlikely, but still possible.
    · Reply · Share
  • celsius_233celsius_233 252 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 281 Junior Member
    yeah bartleby, i doubt you were confident that you were right until mBA announced it. its all right in hindsight, but get over yourself man
    · Reply · Share
  • sunfishsunfish 417 replies26 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 443 Member
    It's likely way off. UC freshman applications are running about 3% higher than last year according to UC officials (I think the number is based on unique applicants). While mathematically it's possible for Cal applications to go up by 60%, it's highly improbable without a similar increase in the total UC applications.
    · Reply · Share
  • any1canany1can 523 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 530 Member
    Maybe the number is more like 56,000 freshman apps, that would be a little more reasonable-still an incredeible number!
    · Reply · Share
  • iVinsheiVinshe 403 replies43 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 446 Member
    Another thread claims a much more reasonable ~49,000 apps... does anyone know when the Regents are meeting to discuss (among other things) whether to cap admissions? I know its sometime within the next 2 weeks...
    · Reply · Share
  • Locke19Locke19 496 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 506 Member
    I love this part: http://www.ucop.edu/news/factsheets/2009/fall_2009_app_table_3.pdf

Freshmen: 48,616

Total: 61,882
    · Reply · Share
  • shalala_lala_lashalala_lala_la 308 replies70 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 378 Member
    4225 freshman, 48418 applicants. 21% admit rate.
    almost 6000 students had the opportunity to go to cal and didn't!
    this is madness!!! =]
    · Reply · Share
  • Locke19Locke19 496 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 506 Member
    "Madness..." THIS IS SPARTA!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Ya, record number of applicants + lack of budget from Sac = low admit percentage

Class o' 2013 should be kick ass though, since those that are admitted had to go through one hell of an admissions process.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity