right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

IB major confusion

i<3YaoMingi<3YaoMing 155 replies73 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
I'm very confused by the IB major website
what are the requirements to declare IB?
what are the reqs to graduate with an IB major?

If somebody can help clarify, i would be grateful.
edited January 2009
8 replies
Post edited by i<3YaoMing on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: IB major confusion

• LeftistHominidLeftistHominid 3539 replies264 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,803 Senior Member
    ib.berkeley.edu

To declare IB, you need 6 of 8 prereqs. Most IB majors declare, their junior year

The 8 prereqs are:
    Math 16A
    Chem 1A, 3A/L, 3B/L (3BL is not required to declare but is required to graduate IB)
    Biology 1A/L, 1B
    Physics 8A-B (7A-B is allowed)

Courses you AP out of can count as your 6/8 prereqs.

Upper-division-wise, you need:
    -at least one course from each three IB areas (Undergraduate Courses)
    -one genetics class
    -two courses that are lec/lab or lec/fld or lec/lab/fld
    (A course cannot be used to fulfill multiple requirements)

you must accumulate at least 26 units of IB upper-division classes, if not you need to take additional IB UDs until you reach 26 units. Most IB majors end up taking seven IB UDs total.

I am an IB/Latin double major, undeclared, who is eventually going to be drafted as an IB peer adviser. In the beginning the IB major looked rather confusing, but that is what you get for having a very free-choice major.

Requirements for UCB students admitted as freshmen
    · Reply · Share
  • redzuneredzune 113 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
    Hey leftist, I also have a question about IB

Which concentrations/emphasis will run you into a whole bunch of premeds, and which ones are more laid back?
    · Reply · Share
  • LeftistHominidLeftistHominid 3539 replies264 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,803 Senior Member
    The ones that will run you into the most premeds tend to be the Area 2 and 3's.

The ones that tend to be more laid backs are the Area 2 and 3's. Some premed courses in IB tend to be the easiest. Classes like IB 131 and 132 are very easy. One additional note, IB 131L is Bio 1AL level difficulty.

Most of the classes I am taking are Area 1, Area 1 classes can be really easy (e.g. IB 160) or very hard (e.g. IB C185). All my classes I am taking for IB are less than 50 students and all of them except for my Area 2 course are all courses that only are offered every other year, so my non-premed plan is not the most typical.

this is my IB plan

Area 1: IB C185, completed Sp08
    Area 2: IB 148, to be taken F09
    Area 3: IB C142, to be taken Sp09
    Genetics: IB 162, completed F08
    Lec/Lab: IB 184/L, to be taken F10
    Lec/Lab: IB 183/L, to be taken Sp11

Note: the only reason that I have planned this far ahead because there are very limited numbers of paleontology courses and they all are talk only every other year.
    · Reply · Share
  • sn0angel07sn0angel07 258 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
    can you minor in IB? and what are the req's for it?
    · Reply · Share
    you can't minor in IB or minor in MCB. The only bio minors are Bioengineering in CoE and Conservation and Resource Studies (CRS), Environmental Economics & Policy (EEP), Forestry and Natural Resources (FNR), Nutritional Sciences (NS), and Toxicology in CNR.
    · Reply · Share
  • sn0angel07sn0angel07 258 replies25 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
    oh.. ok thanks
    · Reply · Share
  • redzuneredzune 113 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
    What courses have a really tough reputation? And of the genetics requirement courses--which would you argue is the easiest?
    · Reply · Share
    IB C142, IB C185 are arguably the toughest IB classes. Both taught by Prof. White. IB 151/L is very hard too. It is taught by Dawson, who was once a HORRIBLE Bio 1b plant professor.

Genetics:
    Undergraduate Courses
    IB 141 is by far the easiest. MCB 140 is the hardest. IB 162 is somewhere in between. IB C163 / MCB C142 is breaking up into one MCB class and one IB class, I figure IB will let you take either daughter course.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity