Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How is the fee hike changing your future plans

LeftistHominidLeftistHominid Registered User Posts: 3,803 Senior Member
Who else is significantly changing their plans for future because of the fee hike?

For me it means no ninth semester, and thus due to the time constraints my Latin major will become my Latin minor.
Post edited by LeftistHominid on

Replies to: How is the fee hike changing your future plans

• jbtheeunknownjbtheeunknown Registered User Posts: 797 Member
    Wow, I'm sorry. That sucks.

My plans don't change. I will still be graduating in 4 years (so long as I can get into my classes. stupid telebears...), living off campus, etc. No changes here.
  • cjuecjue Registered User Posts: 304 Junior Member
    I'm graduating a year early. I'll most likely work and volunteer for a few years before grad/professional school. I have five more upper-div major requirements left-- all of which I plan on cramming into my schedule this upcoming Spring and the following Summer. Had I known I was going to graduate in 3 years as opposed to 4, I would have planned out my college career in a more diligent manner. Since upper-division political science courses are usually all full by Phase II (and many are full during Phase I), I feel like I'm just signing up for whatever classes I can get. Fortunately, most upper-div poli sci courses interest me. My parents still have to pay my brother's tuition/living expenses at another UC school for two and a half more years so me graduating early would really help them out.
  • Batman17Batman17 Registered User Posts: 3,221 Senior Member
    Oh wow that sucks Leftist. I'm not sure about my plans yet. Everything is probably going to be jammed within the next two years; that's for sure. I'd imagine it's gonna be hard for people to go 9 semesters now (isn't financial aid considerably smaller after 8 or something like that? My friend went a fifth year at Berkeley a few years ago and received no fin aid despite getting it the first 4.)
  • LeftistHominidLeftistHominid Registered User Posts: 3,803 Senior Member
    Well I can graduate a double in 4, it is just that then I don't have time for some IB classes that I really want to take, plus there is no guarantee my Classics courses and my IB courses won't have time conflicts
  • ak_doggak_dogg Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    I'll just try to graduate in 7 semesters instead of 8.
  • 20LEGEND20LEGEND Registered User Posts: 1,359 Senior Member
    Trying to graduate in 6 semesters+2 summers instead of 8 semesters.
  • FirapiraFirapira Registered User Posts: 313 Member
    I'll keep chugging along...

instead of pasta with sauce, I'll just eat pasta
  • Clear my mindClear my mind Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    Just eat 2 meals a day instead of 3...
  • twoeyestwoeyes Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    if you are staying a 9th semester do you pay tuition in bulk amount like you do your first 8 semesters OR is it on per unit basis?
    I am thinking of staying a 9th semester and taking 2 classes but if its going to cost 4k I'd rather squeeze them in summer and roughly 50% less
  • BIGAUSBIGAUS Registered User Posts: 338 Member
    I'm like you cjue, opted to really work towards finishing in 3 years as opposed to 4. Barely able to do it, but now this is my last semester instead of having one more year.
  • kemkidkemkid Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    parents fortunately planned ahead for the tuition hikes when setting aside a college fund (berkeley has been raising the tuition for years), so I should be okay. I'm required to graduate in 4 years anyways; CoC degree requirement. Although I still will cut back a bit on spending and possibly get a summer job to make my own spending money.
  • LeftistHominidLeftistHominid Registered User Posts: 3,803 Senior Member
    if you are staying a 9th semester do you pay tuition in bulk amount like you do your first 8 semesters OR is it on per unit basis? I am thinking of staying a 9th semester and taking 2 classes but if its going to cost 4k I'd rather squeeze them in summer and roughly 50% less

You pay the same as you do for any other semester. The only time you pay per unit is when you do summer school. When you take a class through extension, you can pay by the unit, I believe.
  • Shah Rukh KhanShah Rukh Khan Registered User Posts: 287 Junior Member
    what is the official exact amount for tuition now on our bearfacts?
  • Waiting4CollegeWaiting4College Registered User Posts: 1,966 Senior Member
    $4029 for spring tuition alone. (not including class pass $68, campus fee $214, reg fee $450 SHIP $698, etc)

so exactly what amount are fees actually going up to for next fall/spring for residents? i cant find it on the campus website?
  • killthefifikillthefifi Registered User Posts: 414 Member
    I'm one of the unlucky few who had to withdrawal due to the fee hikes =/
    Being from OOS blows so hard, they increased it by at least three grand per semester.

So now I'm working in the area to gain residency, which is a bummer, but at least Cal is still an option!
This discussion has been closed.