Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MCB for premed?

2»

Replies to: MCB for premed?

• tastybeeftastybeef Registered User Posts: 939 Member
    Oh god, this **** again?

Please, don't even bring up IB 132 and 131. They are, by far, the most useless classes I've ever taken. You learn nothing in 131 if you take it with Diamond and you learn very little, if at all, in 132 if you take it with Lehman and Brooks. If you are interested in physiology, then take MCB 136. It makes you understand the logic and mechanisms of organ systems rather than rote memorize random material like IB 132. Take what LeftistHominid says with a grain of salt-- he has never taken an upper-div MCB course yet he offers advice as if he planned them all.

To be honest, now that I've graduated from MCB, I think Public Health offers a good curriculum for premeds. You can dabble in MCB, PH, and some IB. But of course, you should really major in what you like. If you enjoy the material, then you'll spend more time studying it and you'll do well. As much as people say that MCB is difficult, I didn't find it to be that difficult since I was fascinated by it.
  • blueduckyblueducky Registered User Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    ^^i read somewhere else that you once wanted to switch into BioE but you didn't? Are you going to med school?

Since I won't be taking any MCB courses until after my pre reqs, I really don't know if I would like it. Being an MCB major in order to learn topics that will be covered by med school is not my goal, I've heard doing that is really unnecessary, as you will have to learn it all over again anyway.

To be honest, I know almost nothing about PH, I just know people say it has a higher GPA average (which is because it's capped?) and it's one of the "easiest" premed route.
  • LeftistHominidLeftistHominid Registered User Posts: 3,803 Senior Member
    ^^Problem is if one defects to pre-opto, pre-nursing, pre-pharm, or a few others, taking MCB 136 is a really bad idea as it blocks access to IB 132L. Many of these professional schools require an upper division mammalian physiology class, IB 132L is the only course on campus that fits this bill.

If you take MCB 136, they will not let you take IB 132L, thus regardless how badly Lehman and Brooks teach, taking IB 132/L leaves far more doors open than MCB 136. Also, one can easily avoid Lehman and Brooks simply by taking the lecture during the summer when Mau teaches it.

IB 131/L is also required for most of these schools and it is also the only anatomy course one has to choose from. Also, most students wouldn't complain at Diamond handing out free As.
  • tastybeeftastybeef Registered User Posts: 939 Member
    I was able to switch into BioE, but I didn't because I didn't want to take the Physics 7 series and CS 61A. I also applied for transfer to UCSD's bioengineering program. I got in, but it would have cost a small fortune to move there without any scholarship from the school.

I'll be applying for grad school or med school sometime in the future.

Yes, indeed it is very unnecessary. Whatever you learn in undergrad only scrapes the surface of the material that will be covered in medical school. Hence, there is no reason to do IB or any other major JUST to learn the material in preparation for med school.

I know very little about PH as well, but the curriculum seems to be flexible and you can dabble in many majors.
  • blueduckyblueducky Registered User Posts: 1,705 Senior Member
    Haha physics 7 series... :rolleyes: i'm taking 8b for sure.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. Definitely will work harder next semester.
  • Batman17Batman17 Registered User Posts: 3,221 Senior Member
    Lol sophomore and I still don't know whether to major in ib, mcb, or ph. and 4th semester is coming up. :( Hell i don't even know if I can do pre-med with a crap gpa.
  • LeftistHominidLeftistHominid Registered User Posts: 3,803 Senior Member
    For none capped majors, there is absolutely no problem with declaring your junior year (though for IB declaring as early as you can is best, so you can get into seat reserved for IB students)
This discussion has been closed.