Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

entering ug-scholarship

captainsoycaptainsoy Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
i was admitted for bme. i got entering ug schoarship, what is that
Post edited by captainsoy on

Replies to: entering ug-scholarship

• TechhexiumTechhexium Registered User Posts: 624 Member
    I got the same scholarship too, but I was waitlisted for computer engineering. Because my financial aid info is preliminary I don't know if it will remain there if my offer gets accepted.
  • jbournejbourne Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    Sometimes these scholarships will 'disappear' and be replaced with Cal Grant. Othertimes, they are the generic term for a scholarship that completes the
    Blue & Gold commitment (that your system wide fees and tuition will be
    covered through scholarships and grants if you meet a certain income level). Either
    way, it is free money to you and not a loan or anything.
  • diana3diana3 Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    Does anyone know whether it is need-based or not?
  • sopranokittysopranokitty Registered User Posts: 1,506 Senior Member
    From the UC Davis financial aid site:
    UG Entering Scholarship
    UG Entering Scholarship is part of the University Grants Program (which also includes UC Grant/State University Grant). The funds are awarded to undergraduates who have grant eligibility according to the Education Finance Policy. University Grant funds are limited and awarded based on the FAFSA filing date to undergraduates who are eligible and whose financial aid and all required documents are received and complete. Awards are based on availability of funding at the time a student’s completed file is processed. University Grant funding is not available to cover out-of-state registration fees.

I'm not sure if the entering UG scholarship amount differs from student to student, but for me (I transferred in in Fall 2011), it's $10,450.00 ($3,483.00 of that is used for each quarter).
    Soprano, mind if I ask you what your parents' income is? You seem to be receiving a lot of great financial aid.
    My mom's income was $41k last year. This year, her income is $36k. My dad died 8 years and 5 months ago, so it's just my mom helping pay for both me and my sister's tuition.
  • VentureManVentureMan Registered User Posts: 255 Junior Member
    UG scholarship is for 4 years... based on financial need.
    Thanks for the information Soprano & Kitty.
    yes, its need based and would be re-evaluated each year based on that year's FAFSA.
  • missamanda1295missamanda1295 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    if you qualify for blue & gold, does that mean you are going to get it? I need to know that I can count on it or .. I'm screwed. thaanks:)
  • GamerAddictGamerAddict Registered User Posts: 148 Junior Member
    My family's income was 51k but my UG scholarship says only 1900 per year (650 per quarter)... is the UG scholarship entirely need based or am I missing something? Also, does it stack with the blue & gold opportunity scholarship?
    @ missamanda1295: not necessarily. I was eligible for blue and gold, but never got it since my EFC was high, even though my mom makes way less than $80k a year.
  • missamanda1295missamanda1295 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    well my efc is like 15k.. the cost of attendance is 32k or something. does that mean that I will? haha our fasfa info isnt gonna change alot
    My efc was 14k for this year, so if yours is higher than mine, probably not. (for the 2012-2013 school year, my EFC is 5k, so I probably have a better chance at getting Blue and Gold next year)

(btw, when it says "Your family earns less than $80,000 in 2011-2012", that's ONLY talking about income, right? Or does it count investments and money in savings accounts as well?)
    part of the 'eligibility' for blue and gold, besides income, is that you have demonstrated financial need. This makes it ambiguous. But if you have a high EFC, you may not get any blue and gold money. And your assets are used in determining that EFC.
This discussion has been closed.