right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UCD A Cappella groups?

sribbleincsribbleinc 6 replies5 threads New Member
Hi, I'm most likely going to attend Davis this coming fall. Due to a series of events, I like to sing but have never had formal lessons, joined a school choir, and only have had singing experience with my A Cappella club at school. Due to this circumstance, I can't sight-sing notes and have limited experience improvising harmonies (I can harmonize just fine if it's rehearsed in advance), and I must say, while I'm decent within my club, I feel I'm far too inexperienced for a college choir (also due to the fact I hide my singing, I have a bad habit of singing too weakly/quietly D:).
What would I have to prepare if I wanted to join a singing group at Davis? Or more importantly, do I even have a chance?
edited March 2013
5 replies
Post edited by sribbleinc on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UCD A Cappella groups?

• JeSuisJeSuis 1846 replies84 threads Senior Member
    My roommate is in The Afterglow (an all male A Cappella group) and it seems like it was relatively competitive. But I think they really are checking for how you sound with the group and if you can sing on key. You could maybe email some of the A Cappella groups on campus and ask what their auditioning processes are. The ones I know of are:

The Afterglow (all male)
    The Lounge Lizards (co-ed)
    The Spokes (all female)
    Liquid Hotplates (co-ed)
    · Reply · Share
  • sopranokittysopranokitty 1357 replies16 threads Senior Member
    You don't need extensive singing experience to join an a capella group at UCD. For example, on the FAQ page for the Lounge Lizards (one of the a capella co-ed groups here at UCD), it says that some of their members have had no singing experience and have never sight-read before. During the audition (I'm only familiar with the Lounge Lizard and Liquid Hotplates auditions, and they're both the same), you'll be asked to sing a minute of a song of your choice, and then they'll ask you to sing scales (one person of the a capella group will be sitting at a keyboard and they'll pick a note at random. You are then asked to either sing up the scale or down the scale from the note given)

(btw, if you can beat-box, that's a huge plus. They also want someone who can belt/sing out loud)
    · Reply · Share
  • calimamicalimami 871 replies6 threads Member
    the ucd community is extremely lucky to have bobby mcferrin performing at the mondavi center on april 5!! the man is a true vocal genius. if you're a vocalist (or just love the sound of singing), you have to see this man perform at least once in your lifetime.

Mondavi Center
    · Reply · Share
  • sribbleincsribbleinc 6 replies5 threads New Member
    Oh okay thanks guys! This was all very informative. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • HarveyC510HarveyC510 12 replies14 threads New Member
    Hey I'm interested in joining male acapella groups too! I'll see you there =P
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity