right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

should i major and minor?

mmmthanksmmmthanks 1 replies5 threads New Member
currently davis is my top choice, i will be going in with a psychology major, but am also interested in education which is why i would like to minor. would i be stressing myself out to much or does it sound realistic?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: should i major and minor?

• GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 30516 replies417 threads Forum Champion
    If you are able to fit in the classes to complete the minor in 4 years, then I would give it a try. If it will require additional quarters, then it will probably not be worth the time and effort. I would run it past your academic advisor during Freshman orientation and see if a 4 year plan with minor is feasible.
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 30516 replies417 threads Forum Champion
    If you are able to fit in the classes to complete the minor in 4 years, then I would give it a try. If it will require additional quarters, then it will probably not be worth the time and effort. I would run it past your academic advisor during Freshman orientation and see if a 4 year plan with minor is feasible.
    · Reply · Share
  • lostaccountlostaccount 5331 replies90 threads Senior Member
    edited April 2019
    It makes no difference. There are no standards for minors so there is no (important) difference between having a minor versus stating on your resume that you have a specialty/concentration/focus on the second topic. There is no body of material or set of courses employees or schools will presume you have mastered when you note that you have minor in a field. That would be especially true about education when paired with a psychology major. You might get a bit more milage out of a formal minor in a valuable but disparate field from psychology, such as computer science or math but still you probably wouldn't gain anything over simply saying you have a secondary area of competency on your resume.
    edited April 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • lkg4answerslkg4answers 2241 replies244 threads Senior Member
    Education and Human Development are two common minors. Check out the First Year Seminars. https://fys.ucdavis.edu/ There are usually a couple taught by EDU profs and might give you an idea if it is something you want to minor in.
    · Reply · Share
  • mmmthanksmmmthanks 1 replies5 threads New Member
    Thank you!! I appreciate the advice!!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity