Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

what does it take to get in?

LSkaiWalkLSkaiWalk Registered User Posts: 787 Member
hi,

i'm only a sophmore, but i am curious about colleges, and have been researching them, and uc davis seems like one of the best fits for me. what does it take to get in?
Post edited by LSkaiWalk on

Replies to: what does it take to get in?

• PeppersPeppers Registered User Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    3.6+ UC GPA, 1800+ SATs, low mid 600s SAT IIs, and some very reputable extracurriculars and decent number of community service hours. Of course the GPA and SAT can fluctuate with each other (one can go down, the other has to go up) if you want to be considered a "match", but every year, a bunch of people get in without aforementioned qualities. Still, college admissions is random, and with Davis admitting only ~60% of applicants nowadays, it might not be as easy or predictable as before.
  • sports61khsports61kh Registered User Posts: 1,025 Senior Member
    when UCD posts the average stats for its admittees, do they include the "really good kids" who just applied to UCD as a safety but actually should go to cal or LA?
    If it doesn't specify, then chances are it is. I've seen pretty much all of them pull something like that to manipulate the data. On Berkeley's website, they have medical school admissions at 63% (high considering the average is 49%). Closer inspection would find that there were certain criteria for this sample of their prospective med applicants (3.7 or higher, 30MCAT or better etc.). In short, don't let the statistics that make the UCs seem harder to get into than they really are scare you. Either that, or you elect to believe that the average incoming freshman to UCR has a 3.5 and a 1700.
  • sports61khsports61kh Registered User Posts: 1,025 Senior Member
    i've heard that although being a public school (and a UC for that matter), UCD does have the feelings/environment of a smaller school. is this true?
  • PengstaPengsta Registered User Posts: 209 Junior Member
    To above: My friends at Davis tell me that it's a lot more... cozy than other schools because of it's small and home-like environment.
  • GlueEaterGlueEater Registered User Posts: 1,002 Senior Member
    I thought UCD was the biggest UC.
  • quikslvr45quikslvr45 Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    it is, but it is because it is so spread out, not because it has the most people, thats why you usually spend most of your time with smaller groups of people.
  • nate calinate cali Registered User Posts: 371 Member
    UCD owns land in West Davis which they include in its acreage calculations. There are some scattered facilites out there, but most of it is undeveloped farmland owned by the school. Most students don't need to utilize that part of the campus.
    If that's the case, isn't Berkeley supposed to be the biggest one since it owns Berkeley hills or something.
  • FeezFeez Registered User Posts: 842 Member
    and here I was always thinking UCLA was the largest UC campus
  • UC DavisUC Davis College Rep Posts: 1,196 Senior Member
    Size: UC Davis is the biggest UC campus when looking at acreage. We have 5300 acres. The second largest campus is UC Merced with 5030 acres of land. I wouldn’t let these numbers scare you. Please visit the campus to see if the campus is too large for you.
    Averages: The averages posted are for all admitted students. It is important for me to add that are numerous students who are admitted to UC Berkeley or UC Los Angeles and are not offered admissions to UC Davis. On the other hand, there are numerous who are offered admissions to both.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    Hey UCD Admissions! Missed you!
    Thanks. The break was much needed. Happy New year to all!
This discussion has been closed.