right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

The trouble with Davis

TTTRTTTR 190 replies23 threads Junior Member
Ever since I came back from summer advising, I've had to ponder a lot of things. In one afternoon I had my long held desire of being a Veterinarian snapped in two and discarded in a wastebasket. The people I was going up against...they were so much more advanced than I am. I felt so stupid when I got my diagnostic results back. I was so ashamed, I hid my face for most of the afternoon. Since then, beneath all the smiles and cheers over going to Davis...there's been this sense of real dread I've had. I feel like I'm going to drown when I try to swim. Does anyone else feel...unsure of themselves? I just felt as though I should share this.
edited September 2005
7 replies
Post edited by TTTR on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: The trouble with Davis

• socalgal20socalgal20 184 replies35 threads Junior Member
    I, too, wanted to be a vet when I went up to Summer Advising. However, since coming home and rethinking about the whole career, I am not so sure if I still want to be a vet. I like animals and all, but I am not so sure I could handle them in that kind of environment. So I'm probably just going to change my major to bio or something of that sort to give myself other options. TTTR, now you have one less person to compete with to get into vet school :) Hope this helps
    · Reply · Share
  • Mr.BMr.B 1826 replies88 threads Senior Member
    When I first started to teach, I was video taping myself in the class room and watching myself after school to see how I was doing. One afternoon, I watched the tape and noticed how I had miscued the students...told them to do one thing when I meant another...and then insisted that I had told them differently. I saw a little kindegartner dancing around getting laughs everytime I turned my back to him...I never noticed it during the day. I was depressed and felt like quiting before I had really begun. The when I stopped the tape, the television station began to play it was a documentary on the training of FBI agents. This woman was relating how during mock robberies and arrests she had gotten killed each of her turns...Shot from behind a closet door, shot when she went to help a woman who had started to strip her clothes off...each scenario ended up with her dead...so she went to her advisor and told him she was about to quit the program because she constantly failed...Her advisor responded, "but you never were killed the same way twice. That means you are learning, which is all we can ask at this point."

Maybe studying to become a vet will be too hard for you, or maybe you will find a different area that you want to learn..You took some tests and they told you what? That you still have some learning to do, or that your learning style needs work? Think of it as a decent heads up. You are going to need to improve the way you learn, you are going to have to get help from time to time, but so will most of your classmates from time to time.

What if you go to school to study to become a vet and become inspired to write about animal care instead? Eliot Porter graduated from medical school and was given a camera....he became famous for his nature photos...

You are young, be brave, bold, take chances and pick your self up when you fall...the worst thing I can imagine is sitting down on your rocking chair someday and wondering...what if I had tried.
    · Reply · Share
  • user87user87 32 replies9 threads Junior Member
    there's always going to be competition. yes, it will take a lot of hard work, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try. i want to major in managerial economics, and it's an impacted major, popular major at davis, but i'm still going to try.
    · Reply · Share
  • TTTRTTTR 190 replies23 threads Junior Member
    Yeah, of course. Veterinary medicine just isn't the place for me. I know I could handle any of the liberal arts courses just fine. It's the mathematics that most of the science orienatated majors require that has me worried.
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 36022 replies396 threads Senior Member
    When I started law school, I met a LOT of very stressed folks who asked me what I'd do if I flunked out of law school or worse yet, failed to pass the bar (which you have to do to be licensed to practice law). My answer was simply that I'd give law school my best efforts & see how things evolved. If I failed, I would know I tried my best and contentedly move on to something else, since I knew then & know now that I am good at many things.
    The other students were shocked & told me it was a "bad attitude." Actually I think it was & is a healthy attitude & has stood me in good stead all these years.

I guess the point is only YOU have to know how much you want your goal. If you're born with talent, initially you don't have to work as hard as others who aren't born with as much talent. In the end, the folks who reach their goals are those who want it enough and are willing to perservere to get it. If you give up now, will you always second-guess yourself about what "could have," "might have," or "should have"? What will you do instead & how satisfied will you be with that? You will always find folks who have more talent and/or work harder, in just about anything & everything. You have to set YOUR goals that will define you and help you have the satisfying & rounded life you deserve; no one can really do this for you.

(By the way, I did fine in law school & passed the CA & HI bar on my first attempt over 20 years ago. I have enjoyed my years of practicing law.

HImom
    · Reply · Share
  • bjwbellbjwbell 171 replies5 threads Junior Member
    You don't have to be math oriented to be a vet. Since math is not something that you feel confident about GET tutoring, drop in tutoring is available in Kerr on the 3rd floor. The most important thing is to be proactive, you can learn the math it might take a lot of work but it can be done, and if you think you'll need help in the math class set up to meet with a tutor regular at the beginning of quarter, http://www.math.ucdavis.edu/students/tutors
    · Reply · Share
  • TTTRTTTR 190 replies23 threads Junior Member
    Cool, thank you for the link.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity