right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Can I still apply for UCs? Do I fulfil the foreign language requirements?

islandgirl9islandgirl9 0 replies4 threads New Member
I am freaking out right now. My freshman year of high school, I took Japanese 3. I planned to continue with the language all throughout high school but it conflicted with my schedule so I took another language my sophomore year, Spanish 1.

I did NOT take Japanese 1 or 2 in middle school, I simply took a placement test to be able to take Japanese 3 as a freshman.

My high school counselor told me that taking Japanese 3 counted as 3 years to UCs -- does it? Do I still fulfil the language requirement for UCs (taking the same foreign language for 2 years)?

At this point, I can't take an AP/SAT Subject test for the language because my Japanese skills have mostly been lost.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Can I still apply for UCs? Do I fulfil the foreign language requirements?

• GumbymomGumbymom 28152 replies171 threadsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    Yes, you fulfill the Foreign language requirement. You need to reach Level 2 of any language to meet that requirement. Since you completed level 3 Japanese, you are fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom 28152 replies171 threadsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    @islandgirl9: You might want to note in the comment section of the UC application, that you tested out of Japanese 1 and 2 for clarification.
    · Reply · Share