Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

please read

girlincaligirlincali Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hi, I am posting for the first time because I could really use some help in deciding which UC to attend. I am currently a senior at a very prestigious high school and I was recently accepted to all of the UCs that I applied to. My main concern now is that although I have always been a very motivated student, I feel burned out and incapable of handling a great deal of stress. I made a huge mistake four years ago when I decided to attend my high school because it turned out to be a very negative environment with teachers who do not teach well and students who are highly competitive. My years in high school have drained me of my enthusiasm and "drive" and left me feeling burned out right before college. Now, I am considering majoring in psychology and have narrowed my choices down to UCB and UC Davis. UCB is closer to home but I fear the competitive environment. Davis is farther away but, after visiting, I felt that it is less cutthroat and more laid back. I am torn between these schools because I would like to stay close to home (but still live in the dorms) but I do not know whether I can handle the pressure of UCB. I would appreciate any help from anyone. What would you do in my situation? Please, any advice or comments would really help. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Post edited by girlincali on

Replies to: please read

• meggs121meggs121 Registered User Posts: 136 Junior Member
    If you are really concerned about the cutthroat enviroment at Cal, you should consider Davis more...especially if your only reservation is its proximity to home. If you live close to Cal, Davis must not be that far away...a few hours perhaps.
  • r2b2ctr2b2ct Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    If you are truely concerned about this, I'd go with Davis if I were in your position.
  • Momof3DsMomof3Ds Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    You need to go to a school that will restore your love of learning. I would assume that you are a bright student having made it into all of the UCs ( congratulations! ) therefore wherever you go you will do well. It sounds like the most important thing for you will be environment which than sounds like Davis would be the match. Keep in mind that if you really want to do something in the field of psychology you will probably need to do grad school so taking care of yourself now in order to regain your enthusiasm would seem like a good plan. Something to think about...also I always thought part of the college experience was getting out on your own and away from family. The distance between UCB and UCD is not that great. Good Luck!
  • CAchild3CAchild3 Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    i am sorta in your same situatuion except it is between ucd and ucsd. i definitely would go with the place you feel you can mature and grow as a person and not be a overworked study freak which you seem to be afraid of. both schools offer a good education but like you, i definitely noticed a more relaxed atmosphere at uc davis and everyone just seemed friendly. so if you need to just relax for four years to regain your love of learning i say it is well worth passing up ucb
  • Dru2k5Dru2k5 Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    this is so common among smart students. my advice, remember that their are many ways to regain that love of learning. you will be suprised that most of these paths do not involve homework and studying. sounds like you just need to go out and enjoy life and find something that will motivate you. keep your eyes open, it could be anything...a new relationship, new friends, new job, new hobby. anything that will make you a happy person because most smart people...are exactly that, naturally smart. as long as the rest of your life is moving along as fast as you are academically, your desire to learn will just come along naturally.

also sounds like you definately need to get away from the poor teachers and competitive students and be around people who are stimulating rather than pedantically insane.

good luck...
  • mtb1226mtb1226 Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    ..If you dont like learning, there wont be much of a difference at either schools. You wont enjoy it either way. That said, you can easily regain your motivation and drive. Go to cal. Both are not going to be easy schools and Cals pysch porgram is incredible. Maybe the more scholarly feeling at berk will help you enjoy college. Yeah, pick a hobby and do something diff. Cal is competetive, but davis is no easy feat either.
  • Mr.BMr.B Registered User Posts: 1,914 Senior Member
    You will have three months off this summer, Davis isn't going to be easier than taking easier courses and accepting B's at Cal. If you are picking one school over another because you need more than a three month break. You could always ask for a delay of admission.

If it is just a matter of comfort and you are more comfortable at Davis..go there.

My last and most important piece of advice. Make up your own mind and don't take free advice too seriously.
This discussion has been closed.