Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

How much does race factor to admission?

1234568»

Replies to: How much does race factor to admission?

• SimpleLifeSimpleLife Registered User Posts: 2,370 Senior Member
    Hey, Oop, what happened to your 3am-ish post that was on this thread prior to mine?

You were tired of all this (blank) and you were going to bed ... but first, you had a few more cuss words and anger to spew in the reader's general direction?

Did you retract it?
  • rccola70rccola70 Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    You could just lie about race or put mixed on the application..would they seriously do a DNA test to find out your race?
  • OoPurestOoOoPurestOo Registered User Posts: 894 Member
    Oop got banned. He now has a new sn and wants to continue to cause problems on UC threads because he seriously has nothing better to do.
  • peabeeandjaypeabeeandjay Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    A LOT!!!
    my friend here (ucla) is mexican. got a 1600. 4.1 UC gpa. went to a really bad school and made cal, ucla, ucsd, and ucsb. hes below middle class and gets a free ride here.
    and i have friends from hs who had 2200, 4.2 gpa, high middle class and get rejected from cal and la. so yeah race def. matters.
  • rider730rider730 Registered User Posts: 2,980 Senior Member
    peabeeandjay - your evidence does not prove race matters, only that low income, bad schools and other challenges are given huge preference by the UCs. Wouldn't matter the race of the applicant.
  • agenalayagenalay Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    oop - Here's my opinion: The people who are most qualified for the university should get accepted into the university. Race should have nothing to do with it. The fact that Asians are the ones that are trying the hardest to EARN these test scores and high grades just show how dedicated they are and the potential success that they will have at the university. It's not Asians' fault that they try hard and are successful, while other people don't try as hard as them, and they shouldn't be knocked down because people don't want to try as hard as them and want to get a higher chance of being accepted just because they are a minority other than Asians, because if you don't know Asians are a minority in the USA. My advice: Quit complaining about Asians because they work harder than you do. You should learn from them the importance of being committed to school and do the same. EVERYBODY needs to start trying harder and focusing more in school because we are all not doing as well compared to other nations. By the way, I'm half Filipina and half black, and I come from a single parent household with a mom that has always taught me that education was the key to success. Although she hasn't pushed me as hard as some other parents do, I just naturally realize the importance of education and I push myself to be successful. I think affirmative action isn't a good thing because it limits certain minorities to not try as hard as they should, and it is downright UNFAIR. If you work harder, you get better results, and vice versa. A slacker who gets in because they are a minority is just not fair, especially when colleges drop a white person or an Asian person with better stats because of their race. Affirmative action should die. Enough Said.
1234568»
This discussion has been closed.