Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

A-G courses for UC/CSU applications

cherryarrowcherryarrow Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
Hey guys! I have a quick question... On the California State University website it says that students must complete A-G college preparatory pattern of courses in order to get admitted or something.

The thing is, I went to high school outside of the States even though I'm domestic and did under the IB curriculum... So does the A-G course thing apply to me or to the Californian residents only? And also it says if I'm missing some courses, I have to take it at a community college or something, does it mean I take those courses in a CC WHILE I'm at university or before university?
Post edited by cherryarrow on

Replies to: A-G courses for UC/CSU applications

  • calgirl77calgirl77 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Yes, these requirements apply to you. Consult admissions reps or your guidance counselor to be sure that your courses qualify. Unlike in California, your HS courses have not been reviewed/pre-approved.
  • ZooeyKingZooeyKing Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    *A-G courses are the list of classes, by year, that you have had to completed by the end of your Senior year. For example, "A" is the History requirement, and it states that you would have to take 2 years of history to be qualified. One of those years has to be US History.
    *IB courses will fulfill the A-G requirement as long as you have completed all the years of required classes. Go here for the complete list and requirements: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/paths_to_adm/freshman/subject_reqs.html
    *If you have not fulfilled the A-G requirement you need to complete them before you graduate, which means you would have to take them at CC or an online course. If you do, I suggest nuvhs.org. It's meant for high school students and they offer every class any high school student would need to fulfill the A-G courses, PLUS more AND you can finish each class within 4 weeks. I'm sure you won't need to though because I'm familiar with the IB system and you probably have already completed the A-G fulfillment.
  • cherryarrowcherryarrow Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    thanks for your reply yay! :)

    i saw the US history (part a) course on the list though... the only social science i've done was economics HL... and i'm quite worried about the performance arts/visual (part f) since i haven't taken it before!
  • cherryarrowcherryarrow Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    Thanks for your reply~

    HS courses?
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 24,333 Senior Member
    Besides fulfilling a-g courses, the other way you can qualify for admission is by testing ("Examination") alone. It requires a 710+ average on five tests for OOS applicants.
  • cherryarrowcherryarrow Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    so would i need to fill out the a-g courses part on the application form?
This discussion has been closed.