Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Some thoughts about UCI as a viable option

13»

Replies to: Some thoughts about UCI as a viable option

• musicaltheatrememusicaltheatreme Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Another point of clarification, you cannot audition into ALL of the classes through the dance department at UCI. You can audition into level 2 (the highest) as a non-major. That being said, I think you could make special arrangements with individual teachers if you really wanted to be in a higher level dance class, or try to get into one of the lower level dance major only classes (something I have done twice before).

I am in Musical Theatre Dance through the Drama department. It is AMAZING. UCI just hired Andrew Palermo the newest Uci Professor. He has lots of NY credits (Wicked Original Cast to name one). This class satisfies my dancing needs and UCI is growing a stronger dance component in the department. It is competitive to get into either MT Dance or MT Movement. Of course it depends on your level of dance, but I do know some people who did not get into either class. Anyone can take level 1 dance classes through the dance department (no audition needed). This is a great way to work on those skills before transitioning into the harder dance classes.
  • HeartsongmomHeartsongmom Registered User Posts: 67 Junior Member
    Thank you Musicaltheaterme for the great information about UCI. It does sound like an excellent program, particularly for those with an MT interest.This information will help many when it comes to making the final decisions. We would love our D to attend UCI because of location, and cost. I think she would still prefer an acting conservatory environment. It's great to know her safety school is a really good option, and will offer an excellent education. Now we wait!
  • musicaltheatrememusicaltheatreme Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Just posting an update to this thread--there is another thread specifically about UCI. I graduated UCI with a BFA in Musical Theatre and know the UC/Cal State and CA schools for theatre pretty well if anyone has questions about the ins and outs of the programs and how they compare to others
13»
This discussion has been closed.