Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

chances at UCI!!

13»

Replies to: chances at UCI!!

• OyamaOyama Registered User Posts: 2,486 Senior Member
    http://www.geocities.com/kisasong/UCSDComprehensive.htm

"Academic achievement factors
    constitute 77% of the maximum points available"

Also, the other factors are hard to max out as you are allocated points based off your PS/FAFSA. It is rare for one to receive the maximum score in any of the components there, so one's own academia should be the strongest factor in admissions with backgrounds only catalyzing it.
  • jas0njas0n Registered User Posts: 1,527 Senior Member
    There are talented people out there, Oyama. I agree that you should definitely rely heavily on academics, but some students may achieve points in many sectors by being disadvantaged (for example first generation university student and low income) or just being plain talented outside of academics. It happens often. Not everyone sticks their faces into books all day. These other sections can easily makeup for lows in the academic areas. From what I see in the site you linked to, some things are feasible..so it's not rare to fulfill any of these categories.

Oh, BTW, have you shared this to your buddies in the UCSD forum? I was looking for a detailed criteria chart for a few schools during application season. This page makes life so much easier :o.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you, Jason, about the disadvantaged needing criteria to assist them in application processing; I, myself, am a first-gen college student, native Spanish speaker; have a history of low-income, etc. I lacked a lot in GPA but made up for it quite a bit with ECs and SAT scores. What I don't want to happen is for people to extrapolate ideas from a few extremes thinking ECs/backgrounds are THAT important--sure there will occasionally be that student who was a homosexual orphan who self-taught himself English while taking IB classes in Arkansas, but there are also countless upper-middle class students who just exceled in academics and made it to the same school; it just seems like the safer approach towards college than to use other situations as a crutch rather than just support :\ I hope that made sense.

And actually, Jason: It's been in circulation in the UCSD forum for a while now :} It was big for a while with a plethora of incoming seniors starting off with "So I have xxxx points... do I have a shot?!?!?!"

There should still be a few of those in the first few pages :\ It got annoying quick.
  • jas0njas0n Registered User Posts: 1,527 Senior Member
    lol, after UCSD became this social orgy, I stopped reading posts. It was difficult to keep up...especially when the discussions were irrelevant to me.

Anyway, yes, the best approach is through academics. That made a lot of sense. That is one of the first things I tell to people who ask me how to get into UCs. For the people who already have their stats and are just waiting with a cup of tea (incoming seniors) for the admissions process to come by, I try to give them bigger hope. Besides, if you have these outstanding accomplishments like the Eagle Scout award, you basically achieve the points...I can't imagine an adcom saying "I hate this person, let's not give it to him/her."
  • UCantTouch9FeetUCantTouch9Feet Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
    since you guys were talking about chances for admission, how about seeing how I would fare:

UC weighted GPA: 3.83

SAT I: 2000
    SAT II: Math II (620), Spanish (650)

EC's: Two years each of Cross Country and Track
    Community service at church
    (I know this part's gonna screw me up since it's not much at all)

Other Info: Irvine Resident, Asian Male, Middle-Income Family

I'm trying to be optimistic since my friend had a 3.4 gpa and lower stats than me in just about everything, but he got in. But still, what do you guys think??

Also, I plan on majoring in Economics, which i heard is pretty popular at uci.
  • vc1188vc1188 Registered User Posts: 121 Junior Member
    ^ High GPA, high SAT I score, and decent SAT II scores. And I'd say you had better ECs/community service than I did. I think your chances are pretty damn high. I had kind of similar stats:

Weighted GPA (10-11): 3.95 [I still duno if weighted GPA = UC GPA]
    SAT I: 2130
    SAT II: 800 & 580(yikes.)
    EC's: Chinese School (and that's all)
    Community service: Key Club (and that's all)
    If you had applied this year, you'd be a match for UCI.
  • dlo137dlo137 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    You should still apply because you never know, I applied to UCB, UCLA and UCI for the hell of it and im from New Jersey also!!! I got rejected from UCB and LA but got accepted to UCI surprisingly and Im attending in the fall.You should check up on your gpa to see if it is UC Weighted. My sats were terrible.. 1580 but i guess my gpa made up for it?.. 3.8 and decent ECs and essay. It also might depend on what major you apply to, since I got accepted for Computer Engineering. Good luck though, and feel free to msg me if have any other questions.
13»
This discussion has been closed.