Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Taking more than 20 units

Anteatermom2010Anteatermom2010 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
Our son wants to take 23 units during the Winter quarter. His department office, Bren, gave him an "Undergraduate Student Petition" Form.

There is a space for Request and a space for Justification.

Has anyone filed one of these out and if so what do I need to know?

Thank you!
Post edited by Anteatermom2010 on

Replies to: Taking more than 20 units

• flemmydflemmyd Registered User Posts: 525 Member
    My sarcastic answer (to the office, not you) is "Because I want to".

I've taken more then 20 units plenty of times. My school never cared why though, just that you could handle it (by having a 3.0 the prior quarter).

Honestly, the only two "reasonable" answers I could muster is:
    1. I want to, it fits my schedule, and I can handle it.*
    2. I need to finish all this stuff before I graduate.

*although, I guess they might be asking why you want to. Are you trying to get ahead and graduate in three years? are these electives only offered once every 3-4 years? double major and need to take lots of classes? But in my mind, "Because I want to" is just as valid.

The only *issue* is he probably can't register for all 23 units at first. He'll have to register for 18 max. There was a problem with students who register for ridiculous numbers of classes only to drop them week 2 or so. This was a problem as it kept other students, who wanted the class, out.
  • Anteatermom2010Anteatermom2010 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    Thanks Flemmyd - that was my feeling. Hopefully they'll approve him - he currently has a 3.8 GPA

Just another hoop I guess.
This discussion has been closed.