Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What do I do with around 60 extra units that I need to compelte?

fake1009fake1009 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
Hello,

I am a second year sociology major and it seems like yesterday that I just started college. Because of this I didn't really think too much about exactly what classes to take and the logistics of it all and whatnot because graduation seemed so far away.

Now that I finally looked deeper into classes ect. I realized that I have about 40 specific credits needed to complete my major. But I still need an additional 60 units to graduate (degree works just says 100 more units needed to graduate, I did the math and my major only has about 40 units left so that leaves 60 other units).

So what exactly do I do with these "extra" 60 units? I really don't have much of an interest in a minor or anything so do I just take random classes to fulfill this 60 units? It just seems weird that a major can be fulfilled literally within a my second year and a summer class or two if I only took major classes... Hopefully I am not getting this wrong. It would also be nice if perhaps I could mix the classes up with some of the "extra" units that I have to mix up subject matters so I won't have 4 sociology classes in a row.

It would be great if somebody could give me some advice. Thanks!
Post edited by fake1009 on

Replies to: What do I do with around 60 extra units that I need to compelte?

• Anteatermom2010Anteatermom2010 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    First you should check if any of the units you have already taken fulfill the general requirements. You can do this via UCI's web. Go to Authentication required
    Log in - go to DegreeWorks - and this will show you which requirements you have completed, and what classes you can (or need) to take to fulfill what is left. Then I'd recommend scheduling time with your academic adviser.

Good luck!
  • junshikjunshik Registered User Posts: 1,888 Senior Member
    This is what advisors at the sociology dept are there for. Set up an appointment with an actual ADVISOR, not one of those peer-academic-advisors.

I have had experiences where the Peer academic advisors gave me the wrong information, and I had to correct them on multiple occasions.
  • flemmydflemmyd Registered User Posts: 525 Member
    1. Take all the classes/units you need for major.
    2. Take all the classes you need to complete the GE requirements. I believe the school of social sciences has its own mini-set of GEs in addition to the normal set of general ed requirements that everyone has to go through.
    3. Complete the number of units you need to graduate.

Does nothing else interest you? Just because you only need 40 units for your major doesn't mean you can't take more. Nor does there need to be any direction in your remaining classes.
    It just seems weird that a major can be fulfilled literally within a my second year and a summer class or two if I only took major classes...
    I know several biz econ/chemistry majors who graduated after their 3rd year. The way the classes are ordered, you can complete all your major requirements after your 3rd year for both majors. With several AP credits, most finish within 3 years.
    A lot of the social science majors are structured such that you don't need to take them all in order (as opposed to engineering where they continually build of the prior class). I've seen several people in positions similar to yours. Its not unusual.
  • oldrepublicoldrepublic Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Take classes that'll actually find you a job.
This discussion has been closed.