Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Questions about UCI? Ask them here!

123457»

Replies to: Questions about UCI? Ask them here!

• captzakksparrowcaptzakksparrow Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Can anyone tell me some of the "fun" classes offered at UCI? I just went on the campus tour and the guide told me they offer "the science of super heroes". Are there any other interesting courses like that?
  • moonstarsmoonstars Registered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    @Vanesshaa Join a sorority if you can!! It seriously adds to your college experience and definitely opens up doors! If you want to learn more about them private message me!
  • barry2013barry2013 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    So... does anyone have a checklist of what to bring to SPOP this year?

Thanks!
  • superstudentsuperstudent Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    For SPOP, can you come the first day, go home instead of sleeping there at night, and then come back in the morning for the second day?
  • junshikjunshik Registered User Posts: 1,888 Senior Member
    ^, I don't see why not. I bet you can even avoid registering for SPOP, and just attend the important events (e.g. signing up for classes), and then bounce.
    What happens at new student convocation?
  • lyssanicollelyssanicolle Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Does anyone know how long it takes to get housing? I am on the graduate housing waitlist, I am an incoming junior (with child) so I am waiting to get a place in VP or PV for family housing.
    Do you have to do a lot of presentations/speeches? In what classes do you have to do them?
  • CaliNedCaliNed Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Since you have gotten in to UCI i am just wondering what are my chances of UCI admitting me. I am going to be a senior now and so far i have a 4.2 in the UC grading scale. Although i do know that UCI only allows 8 extra points. However i got my first C in Ap English. I have done community work in good samaritan hospital, summer camp for kids, assistant basketball coach for kids, and i have started my own community service where we plant trees around LA. I am also involved in various clubs and i am even a Vice President/co-founder of one called philosophy club. For sports i have been in volleyball for 3 years straight and i am currently the captain. I have join the academic decathlon team. I am currently a captain in my airsoft team that i created. I also have job experience in an optical store and i currently run a chocolate selling business in my school where i have people working for me. I have a 490 in critical reading, 510 in math, and 450 in writing which totals to 1450. That was my first time taking the sat, and a 17 in my act. Also my first time. I am planning to retake it to get a much higher score. I am deeeply concerned of how the C will effect my admission.
  • BiscuitHopperBiscuitHopper Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    @CaliNed
    Your GPA seems a bit high for the test scores you got (Unless you're bad at taking tests), but so far aside from your test scores, you are pretty set on getting into Irvine. The only problem I see is that 1450 and 17. I got a 26 on my first ACT try and a 1590 on my first SAT (Only submitted ACT), so try to aim for at least a 24.
    A C probably will not affect your admissions unless it brings you below a 3.0, heck, I ended my senior year with a C in AP Calc and a 3.8 GPA and I haven't been rescinded.

Ahem! Anyway, I was going to ask a question about the financial aid. When do our financial aid packages become available? They were for me back in May, but then they requested additional documents, and now I can't see what aid I'm getting. Do they update it once they get all my papers? Or will they do it sometime in the near future?
    EDIT: Any other UCI freshmen going to Mesa Court? I would love to get to know some people beforehand!
  • specialk835specialk835 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Hi. I'm an incoming freshman, and I know that we sign up for classes at orientation, but how does that work? Do we need to bring our own computers or how do we actually sign up while there. Any help would be appreciated.
  • aldfig0aldfig0 Registered User Posts: 932 Member
    When I was at spop 2 years ago they took us to a computer lab and we signed up for classes there. However I only got a limited amount of time in the lab so if you have your own computer it'll be better as you'll have unlimited time to think about what classes you want to take.

To sign up for classes you go to this site to see what classes are available:
    Schedule of Classes
    Then go here to add them to your schedule:
    UCI University Registrar - Course Enrollment: WebReg
    I don't think you're allowed to sign up for classes yet until your spop date but you can try if you want.
    Some people like using this site for their classes:
    Antplanner - A better WebSOC for UCI
123457»
This discussion has been closed.