Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Computer Science vs. Software Engineering

msj1294msj1294 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
So I thought I would major in Computer Science, and I have been taking comp sci classes...which basically consist of software engineering...So the two separate majors kinda threw me off a little.

So...

What are the major differences between the two majors?
Which do companies like better?

Any help would be awesome!
Post edited by msj1294 on

Replies to: Computer Science vs. Software Engineering

• BeamersBeamers Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    Mission San Jose, huh?

I'm at Monta Vista myself, lol. CS is a lot more theoretical, whereas Software engineering is 100% high level software applied to develop solutions. I feel CS is definitely broader than simply Software Engineering, so its up to you as to what you want.
  • Anteatermom2010Anteatermom2010 Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    UCI Comp department (Bren) also has you specialize your degree - so be sure to check the current catalogue. You can download it here. http://www.editor.uci.edu/catalogue/12-13Catalogue.pdf The Computer Dept. stuff begins on page 344 and the specialization for a CS degree info appears on page 356 under the title "Undergraduate Major in Computer Science."

I'd recommend you read through all this info to help you narrow what you want to do and then be sure to talk to a department counselor FREQUENTLY - this will keep you on track, keep you from missing classes or taking classes that you don't need.
This discussion has been closed.