Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Computer Engineering graduate!! NEED INPUT!!

jaymo3141jaymo3141 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
I'm looking to talk to a computer engineering graduate from UCI.

I want to know what their experience was like.

I am trying to decide between UCI and Cal Poly Pomona.

any input or info would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows how i can get a hold of a UCI CE graduate please let me know. Thank you.
Post edited by jaymo3141 on

Replies to: Computer Engineering graduate!! NEED INPUT!!

• Superean7Superean7 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Chemical Engineering at Cal Poly Pomona

Cal Poly Pomona has a really good reputation when it comes to their engineering program. Their program is really hands on and that it has a more personal feel (in terms of the teacher-student ratio as well as interaction). I also heard that they avoid teaching assistants doing the vast majority of the professors’ work compared to other universities.

Economics at UC Irvine

UCs are the top universities here in California. Even though I wasn’t accepted at the best (UC Berekeley), UC Irvine is still up there. Unfortunately, I wasn’t offered Chemical Engineering (1st choice) but rather, Economics (2nd choice). Now, I could very well take Econ for fall and then transfer to Chemical Engineering by winter. It is a risk but it may actually pay off. Or I might actually like Econ and just stay with that major.

You should also consider the following
    Driving to school
    Living on campus
    Major (Cal Poly Pomona – chemical engineering. UC Irvine – economics)
    Internship Salary
    Local Company

Computer Engineering Salary
  • op9no2op9no2 Registered User Posts: 282 Junior Member
    i would like to know as well. i got accepted as Computer Engineering major.

i want to focus more on the programming aspect, though, and i'm not sure if CE at UCI is basically "Electrical engineering with a little programming" or if it has more to do with programming.
  • bjlimcdibjlimcdi Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    My S is attending UCI CE. I'm also a SW engineer.
    Either way...
    - HW engineer (Digital HW board design, HW programming using VHDL-like languages, ...)
    - SW engineer who understands HW (OS, Device Driver, Embedded Application SW...)
This discussion has been closed.