Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Chem Placement Test

timothy_kinkletimothy_kinkle Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
I don't know if this has already been asked. I have a week before the Chem placement test, is there any real studying involved to pass, or at least enough so that I don't have to go to the prep to get into Chem class. Should I worry about it at all or anything?
Post edited by timothy_kinkle on

Replies to: Chem Placement Test

• soccerz64soccerz64 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    i took AP chem my junior year and just barely passed with a c and didnt take the ap test

i didnt study what so ever

i passed it with a decent score

its very very basic stuff, like how to read the periodic table, caluclating mols...like its really just basic chemistry

but i really strongly suggest bringing a calculator, i didnt bring one because i thought u couldnt use a graphing and i dont have any scientific calculator...but u can use graphing calculator they dont care

its really helpful, especially for scientific notation

because i am stupid, and cant do that in my head haha

so i hope this helps you. good luck
  • jas0njas0n Registered User Posts: 1,527 Senior Member
    I took Chem sophomore year in high school so I didn't really remember anything. I bought the SAT2 chem book and studied it for about one day. Just cover exactly the topics indicated on the placement test page.
  • timothy_kinkletimothy_kinkle Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Thanks for the responses! They help.
  • corporatefleacorporateflea Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    don't worry about it..

if you know the basics...i mean really teh basics of chem.. you'll be fine..

it does help if you are good at math tho...(basic algebra...) since half of them are math problems...
  • 0-0-00-0-0 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    I've checked out the placement test page, and it says that Stoichiometry is one of the topics that will be covered.

Will they be providing us with a list of the ions (for nomenclature) or do they expect that we have those memorized?

Also, how detailed is their periodic table?
  • gohansdemisegohansdemise Registered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    the test is quite basic...when i say BASIC its basic...there were like 2 stoics..

I took AP chem barely passed it..anyways i missed like 9 out of the 40 questions and they placed me into chem 1a...i was lil disappointed but i got over it
  • 0-0-00-0-0 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    2 stoics... okay. *phew* ^_^'

I also recall Jason saying that Chem 1A was the highest you could place.
  • jas0njas0n Registered User Posts: 1,527 Senior Member
    Oh just a correction I want to drop off. You can actually place into chem h2a which is the honors version of the chem 1-a-b-c series.
  • dratinisunnydratinisunny Registered User Posts: 360 Member
    this test was alright...
    i didn't take chem for over a year
    so i forgot everything... ooo i didn't pass the ap chem exam
    ... i didn't study at all
    and i passed ;) got 82.5 %
This discussion has been closed.