Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

SAT II Scores...

lostxdestinylostxdestiny Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
How much impact does the SAT2 have on admissions? Because i did very poorly on it :/
Post edited by lostxdestiny on

Replies to: SAT II Scores...

• bartlebybartleby Registered User Posts: 1,222 Senior Member
    They have 2/3s the impact your SAT 2400 score does, I believe. At least that's the case for UCD, which is roughly on the same level as Irvine, and I imagine the system doesn't differ too much for UCI.
  • lostxdestinylostxdestiny Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    so would you say that a low SAT2 would impact my admissions?

and also, does anyone know if the SAT writing score of the reasoning test counts for 08-09 admissions?
    They would negatively impact your admission chances, obviously. Enough to be a deal-breaker? I cannot say without any details.

The writing section does count...In fact, UC was one of the motivating influences for the CB to add the writing test to the SAT: Reasoning.
    well my SAT reasoning best score was 2010
    BIO 620, MATH2C 580.

soo its pretty low :/
  • PeppersPeppers Registered User Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    Those aren't that low. I would suggest you look at the average scores on these of admitted applicants (I don't remember where those statistics were) Mid 600s are characteristic of even top tier UCs. Your SAT score is strong, so I'd be inclined to say that it could compensate somewhat for your SAT IIs. Are you retaking those, at least? Its worth a shot.
    i can't the deadline for signups was over quite a while ago. i wish i could though haha
  • GlueEaterGlueEater Registered User Posts: 1,002 Senior Member
    The reason it's 2/3 of your reasoning score; is this because there are only 2 sections? Or are those 2 sections weighed even less. Could someone clarify? I don't get it.

And does anyone know where we can look at average SAT2 scores? Since we can already find SAT reasoning scores.
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,788 Senior Member
    I believe the only UC posting SAT 2's is UCLA. Check their common data set.
    They're 2/3s of your reasoning score because UCs only look at your top two SAT 2 scores, but they look at your three SAT-R scores.
  • GlueEaterGlueEater Registered User Posts: 1,002 Senior Member
    So technically they are worth the same, it's just that you take less subject tests but you take 3 reasoning.
  • sports61khsports61kh Registered User Posts: 1,025 Senior Member
    so for UCs in general, what's the basis for taking multiple SAT2's in various areas? would colleges give u points for showing good variety?
  • PeppersPeppers Registered User Posts: 1,772 Senior Member
    ^No. As long as you get a good score, its OK. Private colleges on the other hand, will likely not treat an 800 in, say Korean, as highly, if you're Korean, or some variation of that.
    The only exception to that rule, Peppers, is that engineering schools want Math IIC scores, and probably a science SAT-II as well.

And yes, you're correct, GlueEater.
  • sports61khsports61kh Registered User Posts: 1,025 Senior Member
    so basically, as long as you have 2 SAT2's, then you're good?
    even if they arent spectacular... xD cause truth is, my intended major has nothing really to do with biology or math.
This discussion has been closed.