Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How hard are these classes?

darklingdarkling Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
On a 1-10 scale, how hard would you say the following classes are? (how hard meaning how time-consuming, the workload, strictness in grading, etc.)

English 4W
Econ 1
Econ 2
Anthro 9
Math 32A
Spanish 6
Socio 1
Psych 10
LS 2
Poli Sci 10
Poli Sci 20

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. And please feel free to elaborate beyond a mere 1-10 number.
Post edited by darkling on

Replies to: How hard are these classes?

• ellalovesnycellalovesnyc Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    I'm taking PolSci10 right now with Professor McClure.

The TAs told us on the first day that it was going to be really hard and to not expect an A. The class is based on 3 papers and discussion participation. The first paper was 15% and the other 2 are each 30%. There are three units, one for each paper.

1st Unit:
    Antigone, Sophocles
    The Last Days of Socrates, Plato

2nd Unit:
    The Second Treatise of Government, Locke
    A Letter Concerning Toleration, Locke
    On Liberty, Mill
    The Subjection of Women, Mill

3rd Unit:
    On Revolution, Hannah Arendt

The lecture we have is twice a week (MW) for 2 hours. The material she covers in lecture is really useful for the essays, but it is nearly impossible to stay awake in a 2 hour lecture when it’s only one person talking. Plus, McClure turns half of the lights off because it’s too bright to her, so it makes it really hard to stay awake.

As for grading, we have only gotten one paper back and I got an A-/B+ which was pretty good according to the TA. This was my first college paper, so it just goes to show that it is not impossible to do well.

McClure was pretty intimidating at first, but she has become a lot more approachable. She even cancelled one of our Monday lectures and pushed back the due date of our second paper to give the TAs more office hours so we could discuss our papers. She also cancelled our lecture for the Wednesday before Thanksgiving so that people can get home without missing class. She has been very understanding about the workload and due dates.

Overall, I probably wouldn't take this class just for a GE because it probably won't help your GPA very much. If you are a Political Science major, then don't worry too much, the class is manageable.

Hope that helps :)

Oh - and I was looking at PolSci 20 for next quarter too and noticed that the lecture is for (i think) 3 hours on a Friday afternoon, so that is something to consider. That pretty much ruled out that class for me.
  • kevMDkevMD Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    my bro has a D in econ 1 so far.

maybe he's just stupid.

and the next few quarters, econ 1 will have just one midterm worth 40%, and this is AFTER the drop deadline.

good luck.
  • flopsyflopsy Registered User Posts: 8,368 Senior Member
    darkling:

Econ 1: 7/10
    Econ 2: 4/10
    Math 32A: 6/10
  • kfc4ukfc4u Registered User Posts: 3,415 Senior Member
    econ1- tough class for me. lowest grade of all my classes was from this one. yeah....

psych10- depending on your prof, this can be either easy or really easy. just do the reading and you're fine. pretty easy... but only if u dont slack off.

poli sci 20- great class if you take it with burgos. not too hard if you just do the reading. difficulty may vary by prof though.
  • hfsaodifhsafhfsaodifhsaf Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    what about Life Sciences 2 (Phelan), Chemistry 14B (Lavelle), Calculus 3B (Popa), Calculus 3C (Brose), Chemistry 14BL (Pang)?
This discussion has been closed.