Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Physics 1A?

maraudersrulemaraudersrule Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
I'll be taking Math 31A this fall quarter, although I've finished more material in high school(no AP, foreign country). For winter, can I take either math 31B or Math 32A? Also, could I also take Physics 1a then?
Post edited by maraudersrule on

Replies to: Physics 1A?

• TheEarlyBirdTheEarlyBird Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    You wouldn't be able to take Physics 1A until at least Spring Quarter because Math 31A/B are enforced requisites and you must take 32A concurrently (or before) Physics 1A. Even though you could take Math 32A without 31B, you'd still need 31B to take Physics 1A. I think the best path would be to take the sequence as they lay out: 31A, 31B, then 32A.
  • maraudersrulemaraudersrule Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    If I want to try and transfer into engineering, then would that be a problem? Is there no faster way of moving up the pathway? Also I thought Math 31B is a corequisite, not a prereq.
  • phospholipasephospholipase Registered User Posts: 686 Member
    There's no way to get past pre-/co-/requisites other than obtaining permission from the instructor/department to enroll in the class with a PTE number. Switching into engineering does not create shortcuts in class requirements.

31AB and 32A are coreqs for 1A, meaning you must have taken or be taking each. Usually a C- grade or better required.
    Sorry, but do you mean that you can take math 31B and 1a together? if I'm done with 31A fall quarter? thanks!

oh also, what I meant is whether it matters if I have taken 1a if I want to transfer to engineering after winter quarter?
    Physics 1A: Math 31A and 31B and 32A (corequisite)
    Math 31B:course 31A (C- or better requisite)
    Math 32A: course 31A (C- or better requisite)

You can take Physics 1A along with 31B and 32A together.

I don't know engineering answers.
  • TheEarlyBirdTheEarlyBird Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    Details about switching into engineering can be found here: Change of Major ? UCLA Engineering - Office of Academic and Student Affairs

Also, "IF you are currently a freshman, you may request a change of major based on the following schedule: during your first year, you may apply after you have completed a minimum of two quarters, two required Mathematics courses, AND two other required courses (Chemistry, Physics or Life Science courses) at UCLA."

Note that it is extremely competitive to switch from non-engineering to engineering majors. They will look closely at your GPA (>3.5) and expect you to take at least 2 math/science courses in one quarter and do well.
    Alright, so that means ANY science/math courses right? Thank you very much!
    I doubt it's any math/science courses. TheEarlyBird's post specified required courses. Presumably that means courses that will count towards the engineering degree requirement, and not just random math/science. Taking engineering pre-requisites also show that you're serious and can do well in those courses, as opposed to any random course.
This discussion has been closed.