Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2 Life Science classes in 1 quarter?

kshao3795kshao3795 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
Hi, I'm an incoming freshman, and I'm trying to make my schedule. Would it be a bad idea to take LS 1 and LS 2 in the same quarter? My other class would be a GE. Because I heard science majors should take ~2 science classes and 1 non science per quarter the first year, but everything else is filled. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!
Post edited by kshao3795 on

Replies to: 2 Life Science classes in 1 quarter?

• TheEarlyBirdTheEarlyBird Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    Have you finished all your required math classes already? Either Math 3A/B/C or 31A/B, 32A? When they say 2 science courses and a GE, a math class would be considered a "science" course. So typically science majors will take a math, LS/chem, and a GE for the first quarter.
  • kshao3795kshao3795 Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    Well I only have Math 3C left, and it's really full for the quarter already. So the chances that I can get in are pretty low...
  • TheEarlyBirdTheEarlyBird Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    Did you not go to orientation? The New Student Advisors typically help incoming freshmen sort it all out and enroll in classes.
  • phospholipasephospholipase Registered User Posts: 686 Member
    Taking LS1 and LS2 together is fine. You don't need one for the other. Difficulty varies; if you're a science person, these classes shouldn't be a problem. If you're worried, then don't do it. You can keep checking 3C and wait until a class opens, and/or attend class the first day and see if the instructor can enroll you/announces that the department plans to open seats. Take LS2 rather than LS1 if you only want one. LS2 is pre-req for more things than LS1.
  • UC-DreamsUC-Dreams Registered User Posts: 258 Junior Member
    I took LS1 with the professors who are teaching it in the fall, I enjoyed the class, specifically the lab component and the ecology portion (although I was annoyed by having to memorize all the time periods and what happened in each one). Workload is reasonable and most concepts are pretty easy to understand (though I had difficulty with constructing phylogenetic trees for a while). It's not a class where you have to study way ahead of time. I guarantee you'll find yourself putting a lot more time into LS2, it can get fairly detailed and you have to memorize cellular respiration, photosynthesis, etc.

I think you'd be ok, especially if your 3rd class is a GE and not another science class.
This discussion has been closed.