Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I need help in deciding whether to go to UCLA or not...

TonyLTH12TonyLTH12 Registered User Posts: 783 Member
Hey, so I am accepted to the physiological science major at UCLA.
I am also accepted into University of the Pacific's pre pharm program (meaning I get a gurantee spot in the school of pharmacy) in which I plan to earn a biology as well as a sports management degree before I begin my pharmacy studies.
In terms of prestige and college experience, I would give the edge to UCLA.
Physiological science is a major that I am truly interested in studying.
On the other hand, for UOP, I would get to pursue my passion in sports and know that I will receive a near six figure salary in 7 years. Plus after grants and scholarship, I will be only loaning around $18K per year while I will have to loan the full cost of tuition for UCLA all 4 years.

(Note: I will be visting UOP's profile day this Saturday and UCLA's college day this April 5th)

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by TonyLTH12 on

Replies to: I need help in deciding whether to go to UCLA or not...

• jackieboy24jackieboy24 Registered User Posts: 251 Junior Member
    I dunno dude. Pacific sounds like a good deal but you're going to be in cow-town. Money is something way off in the future, and I'm sure you won't have much trouble getting into pharmacy school if you do well at UCLA. I'd choose the place where you're going to be the most happy and the place where you're going to have the best, most fulfilling experience. Good luck.
  • TonyLTH12TonyLTH12 Registered User Posts: 783 Member
    Thanks for your input. The thing is, last year for Pacific's admission to the school of pharmacy (those not in the pre pharm advantage program), 1700 students applied, 215 were invited, and 100 were admitted.
    I will definitely try to envision myelf in UCLA when I vist there next week. I'm also a big time sports fan... so Bruins football and basketball is also very appealing.
  • decidingstilldecidingstill Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I was considering University of the Pacific also. I viewed up the stats of it, and a friend of mine is having a great time there. It's a great school. However, it seems more .. I really can't find the appropriate word, but "known and recognized" with a UCLA degree. It's all about what kind of sacrifice is more important. You can have the name brand and prestige with a hole of loans, or you can have a set education for your future job with a nice bank account. Good luck on your decision.
  • socalpattysocalpatty Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    Are you OOS?
  • QW553QW553 Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    The physiological science major is a big negative. I will say you will be still in grad school in 7 years if you don't get into med school. Getting into med school is so tough nowadays.

BTW, UOP is quite reputed in sports world.
    As Decidingstill said, the sacrifice part is a tough one. Sacrifice is a must, but I'm not sure which one. Honestly, I do like the all the majors I was admitted to. Yea, I agree that prob. career wise it's a bit shaky in that I will have a harder time paing off the loans. My AP Bio teacher said it's possible to go into the pharmaceutical or biotech industry with the Physiological Sciences degree. With the pharmacy, I beleive paying off the loans will be quicker and faster. When I visited Pacific in November, I liked the laid back atmosphere. I still have to see UCLA for myself.

To Socalpatty: I'm in state... all loans though.
    To decidingstill: were you considering any of the accelerated programs?
  • so save meso save me Registered User Posts: 517 Member
    i think while UCLA has the prestige it sounds like to me from what i'm getting here.. Pacific seems to fit better.
  • QW553QW553 Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    It is not easy for physiological major to get into biotech, molecular and biochem are better. You may look into it more, see if there is chance to change to those majors. I think you will like UCLA campus when you visit, it is different than UOP, but attractive to most people.
    Thanks for all of your input. I have now also got into UCB, majoring in nutrition.
    Now that makes my decision a whole lot harder.
  • iamhungiamhung Registered User Posts: 283 Junior Member
    I was in a very similar situation last year; I got into UCLA, Berkeley, and UOP (5-year accelerated dental program w/ their $15k scholarship). It sort of came down to whether 1. I really wanted to be a dentist and 2. What kind of life I wanted to live for the next 4 years. I didn't really want to be put in a position where I had to be a dentist because med school has always been my dream.

In retrospect, I somewhat regret putting down UOP in favor of UCLA and my med school dreams simply because it's been a lot harder academically than I expected. But it's a good life down in socal, it definitely beats life in stockton. You aren't guaranteed anything here academically, though; you gotta work hard to beat the competition and reapply for pharmacy school when you graduate. Btw, physiological science is THE predominent major it seems for the premeds at UCLA, and the competition is fierce.

Good luck on your decision and if you have any more questions, post away.
  • happyggalhappyggal Registered User Posts: 686 Member
    omg i got into UOP's 5 yr pre-pharmacy program too..

but NO WAY im gonna give up Cal/UCLA/USC for UOP.
    because I want quality undergrad experience.
    I'm thinking maybe I should be double majoring so I have something to lean back on if the risk don't pay off.
    What do you guys think of that?
  • CyberDragoonCyberDragoon Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    I got into both as well. For UCLA I am in bioengineering. I think I'd rather go to UCLA because UCLA applicants have a 75% entrance rate for UCSF, one of the best pharm schools.
    Wow...do you have the link to where I can get more information on that statistics?

I just visted Pacific today, and I like the tight-nit community as well as the accessibility of the professors. I heard that the pre-pharm class admitted this year is the strongest ever.

Four more days til I vist UCLA.
  • CyberDragoonCyberDragoon Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    Here's a link from U.S. News where they say UCSF is the best in the nation for pharm.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/hea/brief/pha_brief.php

Based on NIH (National Institutes of Health) funding UCSF ranks 4th in amount of funding for 2004 and number one for 2005.

http://grants.nih.gov/grants/award/trends/rnk04all1to500.htm

As for the 75% bit I know I got that statistic from the UCLA Career Center section about pharmacy

http://career.ucla.edu/GraduateSchool&PreProfessionalServices/Pharmacy.asp

because I have a printed out copy but I can't seem to find the exact area again. The exact words are "75% of UCLA applicants attend UCSF." I take this to mean that 75% of UCLA applicants also attend UCSF. Maybe this was a mistake in the website and they edited it out because I cannot find it again.
This discussion has been closed.