Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The Quarter System

Replies to: The Quarter System

• DRabDRab Registered User Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    I thought if you actually graduate with honors, you do have to take more classes than a student not planning on graduating with honors.
  • dyip10dyip10 Registered User Posts: 532 Member
    Nope, if you plan right you only need to take about two additional classes.
  • Brandnew2Brandnew2 Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    Yea, the thing about honors is that you can fulfill your honors units in different ways than just taking honors classes.
  • DRabDRab Registered User Posts: 6,104 Senior Member
    But to actual fulfill those units "in different ways," it's not difficult unless you take medium to above average loads?

Edit- whoops. Well, hmm. I misread what you typed at first. Basically, to what extent can one use non classes, what are the possible non classes one can use, and how tough would it be with just classes?
  • dyip10dyip10 Registered User Posts: 532 Member
    You can take the freshman cluster to fufill 1/3 of the GEs at UCLA, and it counts for honors credit too. Also classes listed on the master list (a lot of upper division classes in your major) fulfill honors credit. They only require you to take two honors collegium courses. Of course you can take more if you want to.
  • dragon17dragon17 Registered User Posts: 438 Member
    Thanks for the info.
  • ucapplicant05ucapplicant05 Registered User Posts: 1,415 Senior Member
    And the freshmen cluster satisfies one of the two collegium courses.
  • dragon17dragon17 Registered User Posts: 438 Member
    Is the freshman cluster actually worth taking? I recall someone mentioning that it wasn't the best decision.
    I don't see why its bad (in terms of how it affects other classes).
  • funnymanfunnyman Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    how many classes per quarter does someone with a double major would have to take? 4 or 5?
    Probably, depending on what it is. It's up to your discretion as long as you can get it all done on time.
  • jyancyjyancy Registered User Posts: 775 Member
    funnyman, that depends on how compatible those majors are. You'll probably hit the unit cap once you sign up for 5 classes, and even though you can easily petition it, any more units than 19 in one quarter isn't the smartest thing to do.

dyip10 is right, you only need 2 additional courses if you plan wisely for the honors program (if the 2 honors collegium courses are 5 units, which most are). The requirements are not hard, but what probably gets some of the students is the 3.5 gpa requirement.

And I enjoyed my freshmen cluster on interracial dynamics. One of the easiest classes I've taken- I had about 2 essays a quarter (you probably write about as many essays in one quarter of writing 2 as you do in 1 year of the ird cluster). I had 1 midterm the first quarter (simple vocabulary) and no finals, the second quarter I had one really general final exam that was comprehenisive w/ stuff from first quarter as well (but it was very, very general to compensate for it) (no midterm second quarter), and the third quarter was just 2 essays w/ no exams. I've done more work in AP English than I did for my cluster class. It depends on the cluster you take, your interest in the topic, and especially the TA you have.
  • SYDBSYDB Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    jyancy, mind if i ask who your prof was for interracial dynamics?
  • jyancyjyancy Registered User Posts: 775 Member
    The professors don't really matter so much as far as your grades are concerned since the TAs do all the grading. The clusters are composed of several professors, and when I took it, it was taught by Decker, Zhou, Stevenson, and Behdad
  • collegegirlgirlcollegegirlgirl Registered User Posts: 308 Member
    jyancy, how do the TAs thing work? so professors teach, what do the TAs do? are TAs used for every class, not just for clusters? im assuming TAs have discussion groups, but what happens during these discussion groups, and how does the TA grade you? does it depend on your participation in the discussions?
This discussion has been closed.